/ /var /home

root.king

geek in action
guys I'm planning to install mint 15 on my system, current os is windows7 & my disk partition is as follows
c:37gb d:40gb e:40gb f:40gb all NTFS
and want to install mint in C: partition & confused about how much drive size needed for each like '/' '/var' '/home'
can any one guide me
does this arch wiki is upto date , can I follow it

*wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Partitioning

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
Allocating space to /var /home is optional I guess, I mean you can simply allocate the entire partition to '/' and all the /var /home will be dynamically allocated.

I am not sure though, long time I am not in these linux stuff and not aware if anything have changed.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I'd recommend

/ : 15GB
/home : 20GB
swap : 2GB

Still 15GB for / is more than enough, if you want you can make it 10GB. But still it's future proof for updates and all.

Just Google about the GNU/Linux file partitioning system. And as far as your question, krishnandu.sarkar is right, / 15GB which is the root(hold all the OS files), /home 20GB(like the Documents and Settings under Windows, the more data you want to store the more space you want to give), and swap(basically page file under Windows) is not required if you have 1 GB RAM or more(I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS in an old PC which has 1 GB RAM, and never requires the swap space 2GB I had allocated). Ans choosing a different /home will keep your data, even if you reinistall your OS from scratch, just make sure to wipe / only.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
As far as Linux partition is concerned. Allocate 20 GB for root ('/'), 4 GB for swap. If you have more than 4GB RAM , you should install a 64-bit
Linux OS.

OP
root.king

root.king

geek in action
using mint 15 64bit version as a trial
using mint4win method and stuck in graphics card driver installation problem

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You are installing Linux in Windows (using Mint4Win) itself. Linux Mint will run as a Windows NT service!! I suggest you install Linux Mint
or ubuntu Linux 64-bit in your system. It's easy believe me. Boot from a Linux Live CD/DVD. Select install Linux.
Under the partitioning option select "manually allocate the partitions" or "allocate the free space available"
If you allocate partitions manually. Allocate 40 GB for root ("/" Ext4 file system) & 4 GB for swap.

OP
root.king

root.king

geek in action
Yup .i know the installation procedures ,my current pc config has only 160gb hard disk I'll buy 1tb within 2or3 months .that's y.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
I suggest you hold up till you get the new hdd. Linux installations are now-a-days safe, but be wary of Murphy's law, you may be risking your existing data on the other partitions as well.

Top Bottom