Using WiFi printer on shared network?

ankushkool

Youngling
I have a WiFi printer which I need to access via a shared network, but I dont want everyone to access it. Is there a way to do that?

The solution I was thinking is getting a router which can connect to two WiFi networks, so I will on one side connect it to the shared network and on the other side have my printer. Then I would configure the router to only allow access to my devices. Which router is capable of that?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
By Wifi printer you mean a printer with inbuilt Wifi capabilities or a normal printer connected to a machine on a wifi network? Also please provide the make and model of the printer in question.

abhidev

Human Spambot
^Printer necessarily doesn't need a machine to be on the network.... A network cable can be connected directly to the printer

abhidev

Human Spambot
As for the OP.... You can assign a printer to a particular use group on your network... Hence add only those users whom you want to grant permissions to access the printer in the user group

OP
ankushkool

ankushkool

Youngling
Printer Model: HP Officejet 6700. The printer will be connected to my college network which I dont have access to.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
^Printer necessarily doesn't need a machine to be on the network.... A network cable can be connected directly to the printer

That is why I asked for the make and model of the printer, so that I can find on the web what connections does it support. According to HP Officejet 6700 Premium e-All-in-One Review & Rating | PCMag.com it can directly connect to a Wifi network.

Printer Model: HP Officejet 6700. The printer will be connected to my college network which I dont have access to.

So, its the college's printer and not yours? If the printer is connected to the college network, I am not sure whether it would be configured to be accessed elsewhere otherwise everyone else and their dogs would be using it to print stuff. I think you would have better luck speaking with your college administrator.

amanvishnani

Right off the assembly line
Check if u can add accessible users on the network, u can connect it to WiFi with work group network setting, plus u can change ur network mode to work group on ur laptop, check if it works

Top Bottom