Using one BSNL connection for two houses? Is it LEGAL?

abhilashr

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys,
I have had a computer with internet connection downstairs for almost 6 years now, running on BSNL broadband.
But now, after renovation for the upstairs house, I bought a new computer to it, and want internet for that too. Is there any way I can split the internet connection b/w these two? The two houses are seperate, so using one Wi-Fi for the whole house is out of the question.

What I was thinking of is using a splitter for the incoming line and split it between two houses, with a modem cum router for each house. Is it legal to "Split" a connection?

Please help me out guys..

No reply, wow

sakumar79

Technomancer
I dont understand why using the same connection over Wifi between two floors of the same building is out of the question. Please explain. Do you mean that you need to be able to switch on and off the connection separately?

Arun

thatsashok

peace panda
So basically you want to share the connection between the OLD and NEW computers ?

The two houses are seperate, so using one Wi-Fi for the whole house is out of the question.

I am bit unclear about this. You mean the house below is given out for rent or something? If thats the case you wont need to provide any connection. If not then why Wifi is out of question ? I am guessing no wifi feature on old computer

What I was thinking of is using a splitter for the incoming line and split it between two houses, with a modem cum router for each house. Is it legal to "Split" a connection?

Not illegal if you have both of them are used by same person. If you plan on sharing your PPPoE login details then yes sir it is not strictly legal

Why would you want two modem cum routers anyways :confused:

No reply, wow

1. Patience

2. Make sure what you post is clear to others and also state the purpose

Reloaded

In the zone
Use a wireless router. if the two houses are within 60 feet range it will work. and put a password

I do the same on a mtnl connection , its completely legal :mrgreen:

OP
A

abhilashr

Right off the assembly line
Use a wireless router. if the two houses are within 60 feet range it will work. and put a password

I do the same on a mtnl connection , its completely legal :mrgreen:

So you are telling me all i need to do is to buy a router and connect it to the modem and i can use both of them and paying only one bill? Thats legal right?

Neo

Yea, getting a LAN cable is another solution. For ~100 buck, its cheap as well. But make sure your modem has one port empty for the new wire.
Else a getting a wireless router is a better idea.

Using a router is legal and perfectly okay.. Get a Wifi N router and you will be able to use it between the two houses.. I don't suppose your walls are so thick that the signal won't pass.. On the safe side borrow a friend's router and try it before you buy it..

doomgiver

Warframe
Yea, that a a typical Indian's thinking. 'You can do anything wrong as long as no one is watching'
._.
yes i can.
i can even leech my neighbor's wifi, but i CHOOSE not to. coz i dont want the added security hassles (also, i dont have a neighbor who has decent internet, all shitty connections with horrible signals)

Reloaded

In the zone
So you are telling me all i need to do is to buy a router and connect it to the modem and i can use both of them and paying only one bill? Thats legal right?

Its 101% legal.
The bandwidth will be shared, so speed will be lower if two persons are using the internet simultaneously.

Flash

Lost in speed
yes i can.
i can even leech my neighbor's wifi, but i CHOOSE not to. coz i dont want the added security hassles (also, i dont have a neighbor who has decent internet, all shitty connections with horrible signals)

:lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coming to the point, My friend is using like this for more than 3 years and it's not wrong.
Even the BSNL service persons who come to his house, for fixing broken connection never said anything about that.

Your's a wireless modem?

Top Bottom