Using installed XP on other config computer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabster

In the zone
Is it possible to use your Windows XP installation on a different Motherboard and processor i.e . on a different PC...
I know that there could be problem with Driver thing, But Windows XP provides with Different Harware Profiles Which can be choosen at the Booting time Itself . (If somebody hasn't Discovered it yet. It is there in Hardware tab of ->My computer-> properties)

it is possible to create a new profile and then installing Drivers for tht profile...
has anybody Tried this ??? :?:
Actually I am going somewhere for a fortnight and I don't want to Install all the Sofwares I use....

Kniwor

Learner
no...mostly it will not work...depends on hardwares...it might work for old P3's but not on new comps because it cannot install drivers immediately...I've seen it working and i've seen it showing BSOD....

It is not advisable in any case...

theraven

Technomancer
it will easily work
it'll ask u to install the drivers for the newly installed devices thats all
as for the hardware profiles thing , im not sure .. never used that

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
it never worked for me coz all the machines i used had different hardware abs layers (HAL)...one was a simple PIC machine the other was an APIC one and yet another mobo supported multi-proc one. so i had to reinstall everytime.

Sankalp

Journeyman
Well I switched from celeron 700MHz to Athlon 64 and it worked for me(now don't ask me how).

Well u can give it a try. Wat u got to lose :!:

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
No
Never worked for me.

I used to carry my harddisk with WinXP installed from my college to home, switching between P3 to P4 ... never worked.
Same with atleast 3 of my friends ... with other configs
Somehow Win98 used to migrate easily .. asked for drivers and all .. but WinXP .. NO

It's a known problem with Windows XP
*news.com.com/2100-1001-269085.html?legacy=cnet
*www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_21303135.html
*www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Desktops/Q_21313315.html
(solution isnt visible .. im just giving example of the fact the it's common problem )

-----
alibi

choudang

Padawan
i think it will work but not properly.

im using P4 with 865 board. i used to carry my HDD frm friends places to home, it switches between p4 to Celeron. it works fine but asked for the mainboard driver when booted up.

install the XP with Norton Ghost or other Disk Image software. i'm not sure that will it work or not, but i have done it before.

OP
D

dabster

In the zone
I want to port it to my home PC, that's p4 and here I use AMD 64...
Anyways let's hope that works,....
Thanks for ummm!! help..

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I Have a Question? Is it Possible to Integrate intel 915 chipset and display drivers and other drivers in xp sp2 installation folder using "nlite" or other tools ?

The drivers i install after xp installation are

1. Intel 915 chipset drivers (.exe setup file)
2. Intel 915 display drivers (.exe setup file)
3. Ethernet adapter (Using update drivers (.INF file))
4. Sound Drivers (.exe setup file)

Is it possible to integrate all of the above into a XP SP2 setup disk ?

Thanks in advance.

Charan

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
charangk said:
I Have a Question? Is it Possible to Integrate intel 915 chipset and display drivers and other drivers in xp sp2 installation folder using "nlite" or other tools ?

The drivers i install after xp installation are

1. Intel 915 chipset drivers (.exe setup file)
2. Intel 915 display drivers (.exe setup file)
3. Ethernet adapter (Using update drivers (.INF file))
4. Sound Drivers (.exe setup file)

Is it possible to integrate all of the above into a XP SP2 setup disk ?

Thanks in advance.

Charan

yep it is possible. but don't ask me coz i don't know how to do it or which software to use (i dun think nlite has that option). i'm sure that i've seen such an article on some site. google is ur best friend (oh yeah msn aint that far behind!)

krish

Journeyman
Sankalp, I have tried a similar thing, celeron 533 to AMD Athlon XP 2400+, it showed BSOD. Didn't worked. I had to repair the installation (almost same as reinstallation). Because the instructions used for Intel and AMD processors are different so OS has to change the way it communicates with the processor.

Sankalp

Journeyman
krish said:
Sankalp, I have tried a similar thing, celeron 533 to AMD Athlon XP 2400+, it showed BSOD. Didn't worked. I had to repair the installation (almost same as reinstallation). Because the instructions used for Intel and AMD processors are different so OS has to change the way it communicates with the processor.

I changed from celeron 700MHz to Athlon 64 3000+. But Before changing I had uninstalled all the the drivers like that of sound card and 3D Acc Card. When I fixed the HDD to the new system it asked me to install the new drivers and detecting the new hardware itself. Well I am still using this PC without ne trouble and i didnt get BSOD. :wink:

Wonder y it isint workin for u guys :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom