Using front audio header on mobo

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Wish to know how to setup and use Front Panel audio.
It’s very old mobo M7NCG.
It has a 10 Pin Audio connector on mobo. Currently jumpers are installed as required to have back panel in action. When no jumpers installed manual says --> Audio, line out and mic in signals are available for front panel audio connectors.
The front panel of case does not have any provision. What needs to be done to set this.
Do we get any standard audio sockets + connector that just plugs on to those 10 pins
Thx

Gollum

Collector
If there is no provision on td cabinet then you should probably leave it alone.
If you have some knowledge about electronics and soldering then you can make your own front panel header. Oh and you will need the motherboard manual for that too.

OP
patkim

patkim

Cyborg Agent
ya, i can do soldering but making that panel is tough.
Do we get any PCI brackets with audio jacks on it or is it a think in past now.

The issue is one channel from onboard sound out on back panel is dead. I suspect it to be a mech issue as the device is otherwise working properly as shown in Sys properties..so trying to route it from the front header.

Gollum

Collector
There is a black coloured 3.5mm audio socket available in market which can do the job of your jumpers. Remember that this socket has 5 pins. One for common ground and two two for each channel. When there is no earphone/amp connected to the socket the two pins of each channel get short ckt and thus acting as a jumper. So identify the shop on the mobo and get wires with pre built connectors on one end for the mobo side and solder the other part to the socket mounted on a general purpose pcb.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Some time ago, before practically all cabinets came with front audio and USB ports, there used to be an add-on card that would solve your problem. I don't know how easily it's available these days.

I'm not talking about a PCI card. It's meant to be fitted on the front of a cabinet and usually has two USB ports as well as audio input and output sockets. It carries cables with connectors for the motherboard USB and front audio headers.

This link shows such a product. It's at eBay US, so it's meant only to give you an idea:
HP USB & Audio Front Panel with Cable 337242-001 - eBay (item 390255559603 end time Oct-30-10 22:11:51 PDT)

This one is intended for a branded computer, so the connectors are in blocks. Generic ones usually have separate connectors for each wire (like the front switch and LED connectors), marked with something like L-OUT, R-OUT, GND, etc. You can match each pin with the help of your motherboard manual.

The problem with such products was that there's no physical standard for the way such devices are fitted on the cabinet front, and some improvisation is usually necessary to fit them.

Ask around in your local computer shops. Some shop may still have such a product. It should cost just 50-100 bucks. Alternatively, you may be able to buy an old cabinet cheaply and take the front connectors from that.

If you find the front attachment and need help with the pin connections, post back. However, I don't come to TDF regularly these days, so you can also mail me at pjdd(at)rediffmail(dot)com

Top Bottom