USB2.0 copying speed....

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hi guys,

I discovered frm one of my frnd....that if u use a dual usb cable with a external HDD...(having miniUSB slot) then u will get double the copying speed
from a single USB cable.....

microUSB ------------{ two USB Ports :mrgreen:

i was getting 45-50mbps....speed...from it

just try it....:cool:

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

that's the normal speed...

how u tested..? can u explain bit more..

that speed was of my frnds old USB HDD.....

new portable HDD will get 85-90Mbps.....:grin:

u only have to buy a USB cable having dual USB plugs...& one mini-USB plug:mrgreen:

khmadhu

change is constant!!
new portable HDD will get 85-90Mbps....

is it USB 3.0 .? connected to USB 2.0.
usb 2.0 can give max 60 MB/s.. windows u will get around 35-45 MB/s.. in linux u can get 58 MB/s

paroh

Padawan
nope its 2.0 seagate freeagent Go 250GB

Is 2.0 seagate freeagent go is 7200RPM or 5400RPM?
As i read some where that dual usb cable with a external HDD is needed to give more power to run usb external drive. but i don't know whether this will also increase the performance of the drive as 5400RPM can't give u 85-90MBPs speed as far as i know even the 7200RPM internal sata 2 hard disk can't give u constant speed of 85-90MBPs speed. and as u are saying that( "i was getting 45-50mbps....speed...from it") so i think u are using drive with speed of 5400RPM.

Also check this
*www.cooldrives.com/images3trans_1x1.gif*www.cooldrives.com/ep.yimg.com/ca/I/cooldrives_2069_59095481.jpg

*www.cooldrives.com/ep.yimg.com/ca/I/cooldrives_2074_41324634.jpg

*www.cooldrives.com/ep.yimg.com/ca/I/cooldrives_2069_59120093.gif

[FONT=arial, helvetica]With the USBGEAR USB power cable, you can use Two USB port of your Laptop/Notebook to Power High-Power USB 2.0 Devices such as Mini Portable Hard Drives.

This custom Cable will Allow High Powere Drives that Require more than 500ma (standard USB port maximum output is 500ma of power) by joining two USB ports power output into one MINI B USB port.

Works with All Mini 2.5 Inch ecnlosures with Mini B USB Cable Port.

USB+Power connectors combine standard USB contacts with additional power contacts to address applications where power requirements exceed capabilities of standard USB

USB Power cable 870MA into one MINI B port from two A ports
[/FONT]

Last edited:

ankushkool

Youngling
here: *shopper.cnet.com/laptop-hard-drives/seagate-freeagent-go-portable/4014-9997_9-33299904.html#info-5

Max speed 480Mbps (= 60 MBps) MAX!

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

may be u got de model wrong... it must be a USB 3.0 drive.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Cmon man, the max transfer rate of USB 2.0 controller is 480mbps(~60MB/S). This is shared among all ports in a mobo. How come he exceeded theoretical limits??

Is he using any 3rd party copying software, which most of the time show exaggerated values.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

Cmon man, the max transfer rate of USB 2.0 controller is 480mbps(~60MB/S). This is shared among all ports in a mobo. How come he exceeded theoretical limits??

Is he using any 3rd party copying software, which most of the time show exaggerated values.

u first buy the above usb cable (in pic) & try it urself......:smile:

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Which software are you using for copying? And how did you come to know of the speed?

windows 7 shows the copying speed & u can also use teracopy in XP :razz:

rkneo11

Broken In
Hmm i doubt this...
The Y cable is actually supplied for it to be compatible with USB 1 ports...

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
:) No you are not getting the point, even the fastest ext hdd's out there from Buffalo, which use turbo usb to boost transfer speeds, maxed out @40MB/s

It doesn't make any difference to speeds if you use a Y cable, it is mostly used with certain drives which need more power hence a y cable to supply that extra power. It has got nothing to do with speeds :)

Check this out *www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?seg=HHO&poid=438342

More over, USB Speeds depend upon the controller, so no matter how many ports you have and how many devices you connect, the max available 480mbps is shared among all running ports. So that is 60MB/s shared among all ports .

Top Bottom