USB Port not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferrarif50

Journeyman
Hi,

I have an Intel 440 LX Motherboard, whose manual claims it supports two USB ports. This was also confirmed by Windows XP and 98. So, I got a USB port and connected the USB connecter to the pins, as indicated in the motherboard manual. I attached a Sony 128 MB USB Pen Drive to the port, but Windows XP failed to detect. All the required services was also running. Once it said a new USB device found, but failed to install the drivers. Later on, even this detection was not happening.

I feel, the ports are not getting the power.

Any bright solutions?

tuxfan

Technomancer
I think you will have to get a USB card (around Rs. 300). Older boards claim that they support USB, but it hardly ever works :roll: I have a small utility from Intel that checks the USB ports and gives its status. On my older board, the utility said, all is ok. But USB ports never worked. USB card worked well.

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
i also cant use usb ports on pentium 600 machine
please tell how to know which motherboard it has
usb is written on motherboard

Tech&ME

Banned
Ok right click on the My Computer Icon on your desktop, select manage from the context menu and then in the dialog box that appears (Computer Management console) select Device Manager there and the see if there is an yellow exclamation mark on the last entry which reads "Universal Serial Bus controllers" if yes double click on it and follow the instruction on your screen to install the required drivers , also allow it to connect to the internet ( make an internet connection prior to doing this) for downloading the required current files from the microsoft website automatically this procedure may take some time on slow connection but this will work for older motherboards.

Also if u have the motherboard CD there u will find patch for the USB device ( not recommended for Win XP). install it from there. If nothing works u can go to the microsoft website and find a patch or update or drivers for the USB manually and download them, this may workout, goodluck.

paid

Journeyman
I had the same problem when I tried hard to install HP 1000 printer. I got my motherboard checked and found that the +5V power supply was not reaching to one of the USB pin on motherboard. The power was bypassed and the problem solved.

I feel that U should get the voltages to the USB port checked or check it yourself thru multimeter if u can, and tally to the voltage mentioned on your MB manual. 8)

valtea

In the zone
i have a usb front pannel in my cabinet and some ppins in my mother board too. I have searched my MB manual but the connectors are given in volts +- etc.. but in my cable it is indicated with colours. can someone tell me what colours are used for what V's

paid

Journeyman
Pin Name Description Cable Colour
*www.starmount.co.uk/usb_skta.gif

1 Vcc +5V DC Red
2 D- Data - White
3 D+ Data + Green
4 Gnd Ground Black

This is standard on all functional USB motherboards. On occasion, there is a 5th pin. This 5th pin is used for Shielding purposes and is rarely used. If used, Shield should be connected to Ground at the host only. No USB device should connect Shield to Ground. The receptacle bracket provides additional grounding through the computer case.

The orientation of each group of 4 pins is extremely important. Take particular care to check the location of the Vcc (power) pins. On some motherboards they are located side by side, and on others they are not.

Here is the source :
*library.mobrien.com:2031/Manuals/MPRM_Group/USB_Pinouts.htm

sourcecode

Broken In
Now that my comp detects the device attached to the usb but it hangs instantly.I use WinXP, but my comp is old too old. Is it possible that my usb port do not support the device?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom