USB Drive gone bad....

Status
Not open for further replies.

imageek

Journeyman
Hi...

I have a Kingston 8GB Datav Traveller.....

Whenever...i transfer big files into it.....after some time... while the drive is still plugged into the system....

lot of small files with absurd names come up and the original file is gone....sometimes with unusual sizess..even greater than the pen drive capacity...

wtd ?? (wat to do)

thnks...

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
Even though the size is 8 GB, the FAT file system doesn't allow a single file size to go beyond 4GB (dunno exact, but maximum is somewhere around 4GB). So try formatting your drive to NTFS and then try copying. Of course, this could be due to some other reason, but this is worth a try....

OP
I

imageek

Journeyman
hi....

thnks for replyinjg....

the files i copied were aournd a gb in size.....

and i've hrd that once you format to2 NTFS it cant be reformatted to FAT32 or a lower version of FS...

thnks again

Krazy Bluez

Banned to Spam
Actually the limit is 3.2 GB, so if you can format your pen drive with FAT 32 file system then do so

But if the data being transmitted is less than that then there might be some problem with your pen drive.....so so a through Disk Cleanup on it

Remember always to use the Safely Remove Hardware whenever possible

OP
I

imageek

Journeyman
hi...

actually i didnt convert the FS....so....i dunno whether it would work or not...
am a little apprehensive about that...

I have chked the dsk using the chkdsk command..formatted it 3 times.... :(

thnks again......

Why be apprehensive buddy?
It's perfectly safe to format a pen drive in NTFS, also NTFS is far better than FAT or FAT32
Just be sure to back up your data before doing so :)
Also, how old is it?

Krazzy Warrior

"Aal Izz Well"
me too was suffering from the same problem but then I cleaned the USB Port using a piece of cloth and then if worked fine i think the problem was some dust...:-x

OP
I

imageek

Journeyman
hey....

thnks all for replying....

i bought the drive in May....

@KW .... actually i also had smthing off that sort in mind..like short(circuit) of some connecions inside... but i tried different ports too.... and it also not working properly on another PC... may b the dust is inside the mouth of the drive....

thnks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom