USB devices not detected in windows 7 except kb and mouse

akhilc47

Journeyman
Hi,

I just assembled a new PC with GA-150M-D3H motherboard and installed windows 7 using a pendrive. But after installation PC is not detecting any USB storage devices. Kb and mouse are working fine, but I tried 1 external hdd and several pendrives but none are working. When I go to bios, it's being detected there. I'm not able to install drivers for USB since it's not detecting USB devices. And I dont have a CD drive or LAN is also down. What could be the issue??

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Check using a live linux distro. if USB drives are getting detected at respective USB ports then mostly something is wrong with Windows USB drivers or registry settings.

When you plug a USB pen drive what does Device Manager show?

Another possibility is that somehow your registry might have got corrupted in such a way that USB mass Storage Driver (I guess USBSTOR.SYS) is disabled somehow in Windows that explains why non mass storage devices like keyboard/mouse are detected but pen drives.

Check the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UsbStor\Start
REG_DWORD Value 3 enabled 4 disabled

Did you use any third party system tweak apps by any chance?

Last edited:
OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
Check using a live linux distro. if USB drives are getting detected at respective USB ports then mostly something is wrong with Windows USB drivers or registry settings.

When you plug a USB pen drive what does Device Manager show?

Another possibility is that somehow your registry might have got corrupted in such a way that USB mass Storage Driver (I guess USBSTOR.SYS) is disabled somehow in Windows that explains why non mass storage devices like keyboard/mouse are detected but pen drives.

Check the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UsbStor\Start
REG_DWORD Value 3 enabled 4 disabled

Did you use any third party system tweak apps by any chance?

Sorry for late reply, but I resolved the issue. It was something wrong with windows drivers. I downloaded LAN drivers to one pendrive and went to repair mode using windows 7 bootable pendrive. From there opened command prompt and used "copy" command to copy drivers to C:/. Restarted and installed LAN drivers, got internet, downloaded usb drivers and everything is working now. Yay!

Thanks for the reply :)

Top Bottom