Urgent - windows 7 related problem?

Hello,
to all of you,
I have a HP Laptop which is running Windows 7 Home Premium Genuine Version, yesterday I opened a file from pendrive, I think it contains the virus after that when I restart my laptop firstly I got an error message for different applications stating "The application was unable to start correctly (0x00000142).Click OK to close the application" I got this error even for cmd.exe and sfc.exe, after this error, multliple more than thousand instances of werfault.exe starts and consumes more than 99% memory which lets the laptop useless, I start the laptop in safe mode and tried malware scanning but problem still persists, after that I deleled the file werfault.exe from syswow64 and system32 folder, after I am able to start the laptop in normal mode and but now I am getting a message that "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting", and my windows version is not genuine, also on the desktop a message is written that "this version of Windows 7 is not genuine".Many of the settings of Windows has been changed.Now, I am totally clueless what to do? Please advise.Hope to see reply soon.Thank You.
Regards,
GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah, reinstall the OS either from DVd or from backup but make sure you're installing a fresh copy as the malware still could be there [ on the other partitions ]. So before reinstalling scan the laptop using a AV bootable disc. If it finds too many infected file then formt the partitions as well and onlt then reinstall the OS.

OP
G

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

In the zone
yeah, reinstall the OS either from DVd or from backup but make sure you're installing a fresh copy as the malware still could be there [ on the other partitions ]. So before reinstalling scan the laptop using a AV bootable disc. If it finds too many infected file then formt the partitions as well and onlt then reinstall the OS.

Hello,
Thank You for this reply.
Is it the only solution left? or Can I scan a system by using some software by which I can get out of this problem? If yes, then please tell me some scanning software for this.
GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
No scan can help now. Even if you are able to remove the 'malware' you can't 'reactivate' your Windows from Pirated to Genuine.

On a side note, are you sure you previously had your Windows genuine? I ask this question since...
"Werfault.exe process is a helpful Microsoft Windows executable that assists with the Windows Error Reporting feature." So it maybe that your windows wasn't genuine in the first place.

What's model of your laptop? How old is it. Do you recall if Windows came preshipped with it, or if you happen to install it later?

OP
G

GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

In the zone
No scan can help now. Even if you are able to remove the 'malware' you can't 'reactivate' your Windows from Pirated to Genuine.

On a side note, are you sure you previously had your Windows genuine? I ask this question since...
"Werfault.exe process is a helpful Microsoft Windows executable that assists with the Windows Error Reporting feature." So it maybe that your windows wasn't genuine in the first place.

What's model of your laptop? How old is it. Do you recall if Windows came preshipped with it, or if you happen to install it later?

Hey,
Thanks for this reply.
Actually, this is a three years old Hp dv6 model laptop having core i5, actually after some time, I need to replace my laptop's hdd and on new hdd, I installed Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium version through the recovery discs that I got with the laptop and from last one year I got no problem, only just some days ago, I opened a file on the pendrive after all mess start and after I deleted the werfault.exe file the message starts coming that it is not genuine Windows.One more thing, I frequently get the error "The application was unable to start having the error no.0xc0000142" during this problem.I hope this info will be useful.
Regards,
GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello,
Thank You for this reply.
Is it the only solution left? or Can I scan a system by using some software by which I can get out of this problem? If yes, then please tell me some scanning software for this.
GEEKCOMPUTER_GEEK

download the iso file. Make a bootable Cd with it and scan all the HDDs / Partitions.

Top Bottom