[URGENT] Locked out of Files/Folders - Win 7 - HELP!!

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Hi all,

I have a p/w protected admin acc. I created a Guest account for my dad to use the comp while im not around. I tweaked a few user access controls via the Security tab on Properties dialog on my main storage partition [E: drive], and by mistake selected the "Users" group and made all the permissions as Deny.

PLease help... i cannot access E: any more and all my important files are in there.

*imageshack.us/scaled/large/46/36515657.jpg
*imageshack.us/scaled/large/542/93334716.jpg
*imageshack.us/scaled/large/18/62005479.jpg

Can a Windows Clean Install [only C:] correct this??

Please HELP!!!

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
very simple(in fact i use this to lock out drives just for fun :) ).in windows an admin can take control of any folder/drive so simply take control of folder & then add "users" group & select "apply/inherit permission to child objects" & apply(this is not the exact procedure but summary).btw even if you reinstall windows these permissions will still be there since ntfs partition preserves such information(just like file/folder create/modify dates).

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
very simple(in fact i use this to lock out drives just for fun :) ).in windows an admin can take control of any folder/drive so simply take control of folder & then add "users" group & select "apply/inherit permission to child objects" & apply(this is not the exact procedure but summary).btw even if you reinstall windows these permissions will still be there since ntfs partition preserves such information(just like file/folder create/modify dates).

can you please give the DEtails?? Please?? i have taken back the ownerships, but there are Lock signs on each of the folder/files inside E:. howw do i remove the lock sign??

Type this in elevated command prompt -
"TAKEOWN /A /R /F DriveLetter:\FolderName"

yep.. i did that... initially i was locked out off the partition. used that to get back in..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
that's because you have not added the group "users" yet to the E drive security properties.open security settings for E drive & click on "advanced" tab.a new window will open & in that window click on "change permissions" tab.in the new window click on add & type users to add the group.after adding users tick the option below the add tab "replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object".cllick on apply & ok.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
which of the options do i check for "Users"??
*img692.imageshack.us/img692/4407/91876424.jpg

also, after saving the screenshot to a location under E:, [E:\works\WEB FILES], i was not able to upload to imageshack. i saved it to desktop, and then i was able to upload it. do i need to add any other terms, like "System" or something??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
allow these---traverse folder/execute file,list folder/read data,read attributes,read extended attributes,read permission.after doing this do as i mentioned earlier & all the lock signs on folders will go away.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Now, i have another query...

suppose i enable the guest/standard account in my PC. now, how can i configure it so that someone who logs into the PC can only access some specified folders/files and get blocked from accessing other folders/files [without fuqing up the permissions like i did above :p ]??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
simply add the group "guest" to security settings & deny all permissions.btw always try such things on a test folder first & only then apply it on a system wide scale.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
thanks...

if i create a standard a/c, will it be able to access internet by default, or do i have to enable it through my admin a/c beforehand??
if not, how to do it??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
that depends on type of internet connection.if you use modem/telephone line internet connection in pppoe mode(in which you get connected to net by simply turning on the modem) or cable broadband then net access is available by default to all accounts.if you use dial up mode(in which you connect to net by dialing a connection shortcut on desktop & entering username/password) then you have to share it from admin account to enable access to guest account.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
create a new connection using network & sharing center---set up new connection wizard & at the window for isp details like username & password select the option "allow other people to use this connection".

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
^:facepalm:

i use it quite a few times in the day cant believe i over looked it... :banghead:

thanks a lot again bro.. i'll get back to you incase i get my dumb ass stuck again :)

Top Bottom