urgent!!how to format the primary partition!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkvirus

Right off the assembly line
hii,..i'm new to here and also to computers...
i have an 80GB HDD..and
i have C:[20GB] as my default primary partition...but after some time some space say 10GB was taken though no files was stored there...so i tried to format it but..it says partition is not allowed to format...currently i've installed my XP in f: drive...and there is nothing in my c: drive but still showing 9GB as occupied...i want to format it...fully..
plz help me!!

OP
darkvirus

darkvirus

Right off the assembly line
i've just turned off the system restore and formattin the C: drive...hope it works..:( [in DOS prompt]

edit1::::nope..it says systen not allowed to br formatted....

jeezz...how to format that primary partition...??

Last edited:

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
i say format everything.. & start afresh... C should b where the OS b installed.. I hate systems which have otherwise.

Try to format in DOS mode or as S18000rpm said to. Or u can try deleting any file/formatting by using any live cd available online.

digiFriend

In the zone
BOOT.ini
ntdetect.com
ntldr

This 3 files are in C: that help in dual booting. this files are needed for booting of Windows Xp in your F: .if you formated your c: drive this files will get deleted and you will not able to boot your winXp
use bootable winXp cd and formate c:
then again
use winxp bootable cd and select recovery console. in command prompt type "fixboot" -to make new files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom