UPS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
hi friends 2day my UPS gave up:cry::cry::cry:
It wasn`t giving backup, so i opened it, and found that the negative terminal of the battery broke into two because of corrosion.
Is there and possiblity of getting its life back?:cry::cry:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I'll say get a new UPS or Replace it if it's under warranty instead of changing the battery. Look for APC ones. It'll cost u 2.5k approx.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
hi friends 2day my UPS gave up:cry::cry::cry:
It wasn`t giving backup, so i opened it, and found that the negative terminal of the battery broke into two because of corrosion.
Is there and possiblity of getting its life back?:cry::cry:

Is any part of the terminal still attached to the battery unit..?

OP
CA50

CA50

Cyborg Agent
I'll say get a new UPS or Replace it if it's under warranty instead of changing the battery. Look for APC ones. It'll cost u 2.5k approx.

what VA??
My ups is 2.5yrs. Battery is fine just terminal problem
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
Ya..you could. Soldering should work. Sounds like fun work.

yeah fun works, but da soldering area is deep inside da seal

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
I guess the battery electrolytes are in a deep layer. So you should be able to melt the seal a bit, and get to the contact. Then try to solder. Initially you can try a hot-wire. Just attach a wire (wrap it), and see if the contacts are working. Then try the solder...

OP
CA50

CA50

Cyborg Agent
Yeah the end contact is visible, i checked with MM, da batt was fine.
Fnds hav u got anyidea how to melt or break da seal

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^ Hehhehhe. He knows what VA means. He's asking about how much VA he shud luk for....!!

Luk for normal 600VA. I'm not so sure.

Well see what other member suggests. As ur UPS battery is f9 u can repair it also as u r thinking off....!!

Krow

Crowman
:offtopic: Damn, I should read entire threads rather than just the last few posts. Almost like watching a movie from after the interval.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah the end contact is visible, i checked with MM, da batt was fine.
Fnds hav u got anyidea how to melt or break da seal

1. Are you able to hot-wire the exposed battery contact to the UPS circuit, and check if it is working fine.

2. What you checked with VM -- the continuity of the battery power.

3. You can melt the seal, but taking any hot rod (screw driver heated on fire) and push it in. Or do it with a hot solder (I do that), and immediately wipe the melted plastic off the solder using a cloth.

OP
CA50

CA50

Cyborg Agent
1. Are you able to hot-wire the exposed battery contact to the UPS circuit, and check if it is working fine.

2. What you checked with VM -- the continuity of the battery power.

3. You can melt the seal, but taking any hot rod (screw driver heated on fire) and push it in. Or do it with a hot solder (I do that), and immediately wipe the melted plastic off the solder using a cloth.

the terminal is deep, the multimeter probe touched the end contact n i measured the voltage reading, it was 12.03v so batt is alive. And abt da seal i wil try it right away. I wil post its pics, currently i m using cell phone 4 browsing, so hav patience.

@krow, whats offtopic man?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^ Melt it like I told you. Use a extremely hot screw driver. Heat it over the gas, and start to probe.

It will get messy, and might render the screw driver useless. If you realize that the electrolytic sealant has been breached, carefully dispose the battery. Its toxic. Do not just put it in the home dust bin.

Do this 'operation' on the floor, on top of some old news papers. So if something leaks, will not cause harm. Do not let the liquid touch your skin. Best of luck. Have fun.

OP
CA50

CA50

Cyborg Agent
Thanks asigh, i tried breaking off da seal n soldering, no electrolyte got leaked, here is the pics of da batt, hope it wil work,
*i50.tinypic.com/ev81oz.jpg

do u think da batt blow when working?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Hey..that is a good job. It should work.

I would suggest to use it like this:

1. Attach it to the UPS circuit.
2. Let it charge for a while. (Do not hook up the computer)
3. Then discharge the battery by hooking up some low power devices. Say a 100W household bulb, for an hour.
4. Charge it up again. Verify it with the VM.
5. If all fine, hook it back.

Put some tape on the solder. Great job....! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom