UPS Issue

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
This is my System's Power Connection. Power Outlet-->Stabilizer-->UPS-->CPU and Monitor.

1. When ever I turn on the UPS the CPU boots and in 2 seconds the UPS goes into Battery Backup mode (it stops getting the power from Power outlet) and then it restarts, so does the CPU.

So what might the plausible cause for this issue ? Hope something amiss with the UPS Battery.

2. After that I enter the Password in order to log into Vista, the Welcome wheel keeps spinning for more than 2 mins(usually it wont take this longer) and after I see only a black screen the desktop loads only after 5 mins in the mean time I'm able to access only the Task Manager.

No idea why this is happening.

If you want more details I can provide them and any help is appreciated.

OP
Sudh4r

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
Proc: 2.4GHz Q6600 Quad Core
Ram : 2.56 GB
Hard Disk :250 GB
GPU : 256MB ATI Radeon 3450
UPS: Numeric 600VA.
SMPS : I have to check it.

BTW it's a DELL machine.

OP
Sudh4r

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
Seriously? I have been connecting it like that for more than 3 years and it was working fine.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
just because something works doesn't mean it is the correct way.ups detects changes in voltage to decide whether to switch to battery & if voltage stabilizer changes voltage rapidly because of some mains issue then it is a competition between which one can react faster.if stabilizer is faster then ups will fail to work properly.there may be other reason for this but logic suggests starting from basic & this is a basic fact that there should not be anything between ups & power outlet.

OP
Sudh4r

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
When i bought the PC brand new, connected UPS directly to power outlet and within a month my SMPS and MoBO were toasted cause of high voltage, so the Tech from DELL recommended to use a stabilizer.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
a ups should be able to handle such situations.anyway if that's the case then use a surge protector(belkin economy model costs ~450 online) & connect ups to surge protector connected to socket.don't connect anything except ups to surge protector for smooth functioning.

OP
Sudh4r

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
Ok.

Now what i'm thinking is I will directly connect the ups to power outlet and check if the pbm exists.

Top Bottom