UPS for residence

Status
Not open for further replies.

viruses

Journeyman
guys i want to buy a good ups for my residence in bangalore.please suggest a place where they sell ups like a ups bazaar just as we have computer bazaar in sp road and also suggest some good ups for the purpose and the approx. cost.

thanks

PaulBarber

Broken In
Dont buy UPS for the entire house. Buy an inverter instead. UPS batteries are of very small capacity. It can light a fan and tube light for like 10-20 mins I guess. Not much more.

See the main cost of an inverter is the tubular battery which costs 7-8K or more. The actual inverter costs less than 2K IIRC.

If you dont want to spend 10K or more on an inverter + battery, try this - buy a small capacity inverter and use it with a small car battery - Maruti 800 battery or something (rather than the 8-10K tubular inverter batteries). It will work out much better than ur UPS.

OP
V

viruses

Journeyman
yea pal what is the difference between a ups and a printer,i dont mind spending upto 20k for a good ups

OP
V

viruses

Journeyman
sorry i did not know the difference between an invertor and a ups?can you explain what it is?which one do you recommend

shashank_re

In the zone
Buy a Sukam SineWave UPS(rating depends on your requirements) with a battery of ~160Ah.You will get very long backup if you u use effectively.
And it wont cost you more than Rs.16k

PaulBarber

Broken In
sorry i did not know the difference between an invertor and a ups?can you explain what it is?which one do you recommend

UPS is generally meant for PCs (or other similar sensitive equipment). UPS'es produce an almost sine-wave output voltage which is very similar to our normal 50Hz AC power. This is important for sensitive (esp digital) equipment.

Inverters are more high power devices that are meant for powering household devices. Here, the waveform and frequency doesnt matter that much. Most home appliances can handle it.

UPS'es are also of much lower capacity and are more expensive compared to inverters. Hope that answers ur Q.

shashank_re

In the zone
If you want to use PC..then you MUST buy an inverter with Sine wave output..
I highly recommend you to buy a Sine wave inverter even if you don't use PC..as square wave inverters produce hissing sound in fans and can damage sensitive electronic components of TV etc.

And BTW most the latest Inverters have an switch to change from inverter mode to UPS mode.. with UPS mode,your computer will not restart when there is a power cut as the time lag to switch to battery power is very short in UPS mode.

Hope it helped :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom