Uprage RAM on lappy

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillnow

Broken In
I have a HP presario V6000 laptop, AMD turion 64(dual), 1.6 ghz. It also has an Nvidia graphic card which shares memory with the meagre 512 mb ram it has. Thus my laptop runs very slow while playing games... or even otherwise i feel the need to increase my ram. Is it possible to upgrade to 1 gb?..
thanks.

Ps. i get 3 options of sharing wid the graphic card.. 32,64,128. if anyone could tell me which is the best amount to share with the graphic card?

Sourabh

Laptoping
The RAM should be DDR2 533MHz. Use CPUz to verify. It will also tell you whether you have a single 512MB stick of 256MBx2. Laptops have only 2 slots, so do the math.

Single Transcend 1GB DDR2 667MHz Laptop RAM costs 2.2k whereas the 512MB one will cost you 1.5k

Getting additional 1GB would be the wise. Allot max. shared video memory (128MB in your case)

narangz

Web developer
Hi!
Sourabh, What should I select the shared video memory for my Compaq V3425AU? It has 512 MB RAM. As you know in Vista 512MB is the minimum. I shall also give XP Pro SP2 a try. Please suggest the Shared Video Memory for my lappy. Also please let me know how you calculate it... Thanks once again :)

OP
C

chillnow

Broken In
thanks, its DDR2 max bandwidth.Pc2-5300 333mhz. Hope i get something in the market.

Is vista worth keeping with low ram? i also wonder. Maybe the games will run faster too in xp.

shantanu

Technomancer
DDR2 max bandwidth 333 ? i am not sure for lappys but its 1333 mhz .. i think maybe more too..

Vista is worth the keep only with 1 gb minimum.. otherwise it may lead to lags.. Windows Xp sp2 will be the best choice with 512.

OP
C

chillnow

Broken In
it has a "timings table" below where there are 3 sections 333,333, and 266.. so it totals to almost 800 mhz.

OP
C

chillnow

Broken In
i repeat i have an AMD turion 64(dual), 1.6 ghz, windows vista basic installed.. and ram of 512 mb shared wid graphic card, which when i give it 128 mb leaves a mere 384 mb. my graphic card is geforce 6150,
i can get awesome graphics in the game with full resolution but it plays like slide shows, even in low resolutions
if i want to play decent fps like call of duty 2, what should i do?
do u think using winxp will make a difference? or just put another ram chip of 1 gb along with the already 512 mb? will it be a definite solution to the problem?
thanks.

OP
C

chillnow

Broken In
I saw the prices of laptop 1gb ram ddr2 in nehru place, transcend is 1500 rs. and kingston 1250 rs. whats the difference between the two?

Sourabh

Laptoping
chillnow said:
I saw the prices of laptop 1gb ram ddr2 in nehru place, transcend is 1500 rs. and kingston 1250 rs. whats the difference between the two?

Nothing. Same speeds + Both offer lifetime warranty (3-years).

Sourabh

Laptoping
Transcend is generally the cheaper one. If you're getting Kingston for less, get that. There's no big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom