Upgrading to 64-bit Windows 7 - Some confusions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey

Padawan
I currently using 32-bit Win XP Pro but plan to upgrade to 64-bit Windows 7 (once it is released). I would like to know if my current system config is sufficient to run the OS. I have been using Windows 7 RC for sometime now and I have no problem but I don't know how my system performance will change once I go for 64-bit OS.

I also would like to know if my existing 32-bit applications will work fine under 64-bit OS. Since my current system is a bit old (config is given under my signature) I am not sure if 64-bit drivers will be available for my system. Will I be able to use my existing Kaspersky Internet Security and iolo System Mechanic under 64-bit OS or will have to upgrade them to 64-bit versions too? And how will the performance of my existing games change under 64-bit OS?

Kalyan

Journeyman
Hi I am using 64 bit Windows 7 RC. I am even doing my programming stuff in it. no problems / compatibility till now. I am using 32 bit versions. (eclipse, dreamweaver, tomcat, jboss, mySQL etc..) no problems till now.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I was not able to install KIS 2009 in win 7 64 bit OS
and your config is more than enough to run that OS

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
Hi! I am currently using Windows 7 RC 32-bit version. I have the key for Windows 7 RC 64-bit version, but not the 64-bit installation disk image. I shall be grateful if any one of you guys can help me with one. I have a Core i7 920 system with Zotac GeForce GTX 295 grfx card and 3X2 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM.

OP
M

monkey

Padawan
I was not able to install KIS 2009 in win 7 64 bit OS
and your config is more than enough to run that OS

I am using KIS 2010 on Windows 7 RC (32-bit) without any problem. Generally I have seen companies writing system requirements as "Windows XP/Vista 32-or 64-bit" and this is whats confuse me as the download file is a single .exe
file. So does that mean this single file can install the program irrespective of Windows version and whether it is 32- or 64-bit?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
64-bit OS can run 32-bit apps in compatiblity mode, given that the app is compatible with this type of execution. Most of the apps are and if the company says that it is compatible with 32bit and 64 bit, it should be compatible. But apps that are 64-bit will not run on a 32bit OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom