Upgrading RAM ...Plz Help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys .... I have the following Config....

AMD 3600+
M2NPVVM
512 x 2 667 kingston

Now i want to upgrade my ram .... so i am thinking to go for 2 gb more .... now i have a few doubts ...

Whether i should go for 2 x 1 GB 667 or 800 mhz ......
i knw with my present set of RAM ... 800 mhz kit will also run at 667 .... but in future i can dump my 512 set .. and buy another 2 gb set (800MHZ) thn it will be fine ..... but will it be a significant performance boost as i have heard that RAM frequency dsnt matter in AMD system (but the latency timings does matter) ... so is it wise to pay a few hundred bucks xtra for 800 mhz RAM for the performance ?

Also only Trancsend 800 Mhz RAM is available here ....

So shld i go for 2 x 1 GB 667 Kingston or 2 x 1 800 Mhz Transcend in combination with my present set of 512 x 2 667 Kingston ?

Price of 667 Kingston here - 900 /-
price of 800 Transcend here - 1050 /-

Plz help .....Thnx

amitash

Intel OCer
800Mhz RAM will give u a very good performance boost if u are into heavy stressing,overclocking,or even hi-performance gaming...if u are just a casual user with no use for any of the above go for the kingston...although if i were u i wud get the 800Mhz RAM...more is always better and its only 150 bucks extra so i wud go for the 800mhz RAM...

OP
harryneopotter

harryneopotter

Padawan
thnx guys ...but i expected more detailed explainations to convince myself to go for transcend ... actually i am a bit short of funds right nw .... so is it wise to go for 800 Mhz instead of 667 (the price diff of Rs 300 may be nuthing 2 u ..but its steep for me ...) keeping it in mind that i will be using the new RAM with my current 667 mhz modules ....
And about my usage pattern .. i do rip some movies now and then, sumtimes i play crysis, i am planning to learn MAYA or 3d MAX or Flash in near future ..... other times its just DVDRIP movies, surfing, and other games etc ...

SO plz suggest .....is the 800 MHZ will give a significant boost for me to justify the price diff on my AMD SYSTEM.......(if i use it with my current 667 mhz set) ???

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Well even if u buy the 800Mhz RAm, it will still work at 667 Mhz (to compensate for the remaining modules),

But, if ur mobo supports 800 Mhz RAM and as u said abt future (tat u will add extra RAMs of 800 Mhz), its better to go for 800 Mhz as of now (coz as of now it will work on a lower speed of 667 Mhz (to compensate for the remaining modules wich are 2x512 MB (667))

but, later wen u upgrade it to all 800 Mhz Modules (by removing the 667 Mhz modules), then u will hv a boost in performance.
Provided, they are in DUAL CHANNEL and ur mob supports 800 Mhz RAM Modules. :)

:Off topic: I hv 4x512 MB DDR(400) Transcend RAM for my P-IV, 2Ghz system.

Cheers n e-peace...

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
So its 800 Mhz RAM now ... as my mobo do support 800 Mhz Memory with dual channel...... thnx guys .........
Yup, then thats ur best bet.
But be sure to buy RAMs in pairs order so that U can have them connected in DUAL CHANNEL mode (as that will definately hv an added advantage than a single module) :)

Cheers n e-peace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom