upgrading my pc is better or buying a graphic card?

ajroxx16

Broken In
I have compaq presario sl 1732 il which i bought in year 2006 these are it's specifications:

HP Support document - HP Support Center

i am thinking of buying a graphic card which is ATI 5450 1gb by power colour at 2250 inr. on the other hand i am thinking of upgrading the pc too but unfortunately i have to select one as i am tight on money. on graphic card i can spend 3000 and on upgrading (motherboard+processor)
i am thinking of upgrading to i3 processor with intel motherboard.
i have 1gb ddr2 ram installed currnetly so i am looking for such i-3 processor supporting ddr2.
i am willing to spend 12k-13k max on upgrade.

please help !

quicky008

Technomancer
Buying that outdated graphics card will be of no use-its not capable of running most of the graphics intensive games that are currently available.It will be a better idea to upgrade your cpu,ram and motherboard first and then go for a new gpu such as a radeon 6670 which can run most new games pretty well.

As your budget is rather low,i recommend the following config:

Intel Pentium G2020 -3500,
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H -3400
Corsair value Select 4 GB -2000
Antec VP350 - 2000
Sapphire Radeon 6670 2 gb DDR3 -5290

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Buying that outdated graphics card will be of no use-its not capable of running most of the graphics intensive games that are currently available.It will be a better idea to upgrade your cpu,ram and motherboard first and then go for a new gpu such as a radeon 6670 which can run most new games pretty well.

Antec VP350 - 2000
I'd say get a 3rd or 4th gen i3 instead coz the price difference isn't much and is worth it IMO
The system u suggested isn't bad but it's a rebranded core 2 duo like all the newer pentiums
Or get an amd apu for now without GPU coz amd apus integrated graphics are better than intels and will suffice till u get a a graphic card the intel hd 4000 and 4500 are still worse than amd apus igpu
Hope I helped :)
Btw amd apus come for 8k itself so only get it if u want to start gaming right away otherwise intel i3 makes more sense because u can buy a proper GPU along with it for 9k

jaimin100

Journeyman
bro its better to upgrade your motherboard and processor rather than only on gpu :D
i have also compaq presario series pc of dual core processor and think to update.

OP
A

ajroxx16

Broken In

Antec VP350 - 2000

I am looking for core i-3 with intel motherboard. I am not willing to replace my powersupply.
My brother use it for gaming (not that hardcore)
I asked for upgrade to shopkeeper and he suggested me :

Intel core i-3 3rd generation 3210 +intel chipset g61-9950 inr.
2gb ddr3 (ddnt mention it's brand)-1250 inr

jaimin100

Journeyman
when i want to local shop he recomeends me to buy intel not amd what he said"bhaiya u will cry after one year due to its maintance problems :D" but i dont mind it i knew how to all this guys :D

Cilus

laborare est orare
Get
AMD FX-4300 @ 6.3K
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2PT @ 3.15K
Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 4 GB PC RAM (KVR13N9S8/4-SP) @ 2.62K

Cilus

laborare est orare
Ya, the IGP is better in i3 3200 but that is not enough for playing games, the end result will be same. OP should get a dedicated Graphics card like HD 6670. I suggest R5 240 GDDR5 version which is available around 5K and provides better performance than the 6670 DDR3 version.

quicky008

Technomancer
I'd say get a 3rd or 4th gen i3 instead coz the price difference isn't much and is worth it IMO
The system u suggested isn't bad but it's a rebranded core 2 duo like all the newer pentiums

He has mentioned that he cannot spend more than rs 13000,therefore it'd be difficult for him to opt for a i3 cpu,which itself costs around Rs 7000.For that price,he can go for a 6 core amd cpu instead such as a FX 6300 which is superior to i3 in terms of performance and is also relatively more future proof.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
what does it matter if a series is dead unless you plan on upgrading within 2-3 years which a typical user won't do?after 3 years every series is dead anyway.

URPradhan

Journeyman
what does it matter if a series is dead unless you plan on upgrading within 2-3 years which a typical user won't do?after 3 years every series is dead anyway.
Paoint taken, but when you are buying a new thing, will you buy a thing which is already dead ?At least not me.

Last edited:

quicky008

Technomancer

Very true,most hardware components are bound to become obsolete after a time span of 2-3 years,no matter how latest or greatest they might be at the time of purchase.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fx series is dead, its not future proof.
well, that way - LGA 1155 or Haswell's socket is also dead practically? It will see one range of processors when the 14nm comes out, basically the same architecture on a different manufacturing node. Virtually no increase in performance!

Then when Intel launches a new architecture, they will change socket.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Fx series is dead, its not future proof.

so what do you suggest instead of an fx 6300 at that budget? an under performing i3? if you really want to be future proof, play games and use the softwares that you use today in future. then your machine will be future proof. ;)

else save and upgrade when you feel you want it :)

Top Bottom