Upgrading my comp !Recomendations plz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

roccstar2

Banned
I have a compaq presario desktop with the following specifications:

motherboard - FIC AM35 (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DIMM)
chipset - VIA VT8375 ProSavage DDR KM266
CPU - AMD ATHLON XP 2000+ (1.6 GHZ)
40 Gb Hard Drive
352 DDR RAM

I am interested in upgrading the RAM, Hard drive and Graphics Card...

I am planning on getting 512 MB DDR RAM to replace the original 128 MB which should give me a total of 768 MB of RAM(I also have a 256 mb DDR Ram module).

I will be getting a 80 GB Hard drive to complement the original 40 GB hard drive that has about 8 GB left to fill in..

Now here is where I have a problem... I am unsure about which Graphics Card to buy... as I am unsure of how much my old motherboard and proccessor can handle... If anyone can help me out with this it would be great...

I do not play too many games but I would love to play Half Life 2, Call of Duty and Far Cry on my comp now that I actually have time to get back to gaming after so many years!!!

So would this be possible with my Comp Specifications? What would this graphics cards cost me?

Thanks for any help before hand!

Thanks to the board members who helped me figure out my motherboard and chipset specifications..!!!

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
well pal v need to know ur max budget for the card then only v can suggest u card so tel us ur budget.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
ur mobo:
*www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard/1stmainboard_detail.aspx?type=legacy&model_id=44

Give ur budget, for RAM u can consider Kingston and as for HDD go for greater than 80GB, just my advice. Seagate drives are a good option. Watever u do, dont go for Samsung. Also ur mobo doesnt support SATA interface, so no point in going for that.

OP
R

roccstar2

Banned
Sorry bout that...

I am not really loaded right now... but I am thinking aroudn 4000 to 5000.. i know its low but I am not an avid gamer.. so any suggestions?

Thanks for the link to my mobo shwetanshu and may I ask why I would need a HD with more space than 80 gigs?

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
120gb or 160 bcoz the price diff between 80gb and 120gb is just 300-400.120 and 160 diff is around 500 dats why its betta to go for either 120gb or may b 160.6200 gpu will come in ur budget but if u can push ur budget a bit then u can get 6600 vanilla for around 6.5k.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Well, within your budget for graphics card, you can also get 6200 AGP version. It will run Doom3 and HL2 although at low settings with fair gameplay.

G

gxsaurav

hmm, budget plz, if u don't need hardcore gaming your onbboard or existing is enough

OP
R

roccstar2

Banned
I am not a hard core gamer but since my comps on board graphics can'[t handle Rise of Nations.. i am pretty sure that I won't be able to play games like HL2 or Farcry...

My budget is 4000 - 5000

I have one AGP 4x slot..

asdf1223

Journeyman
a 6200 is a good option.if u get a plain 6600(heard the brand big was offering one for 5k)its also good.anything more will bottleneck since ur mobo(i had the exact one previously) has only a 4x slot.

AlienTech

In the zone
shwetanshu said:
ur mobo:
*www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard/1stmainboard_detail.aspx?type=legacy&model_id=44

Give ur budget, for RAM u can consider Kingston and as for HDD go for greater than 80GB, just my advice. Seagate drives are a good option. Watever u do, dont go for Samsung. Also ur mobo doesnt support SATA interface, so no point in going for that.

:) Give ur budget, for RAM u can consider hyundai and as for HDD go for greater than 80GB, just my advice. Samsung drives are a good option. Watever u do, dont go for Seagate . Also ur mobo doesnt support SATA interface, so no point in going for that. :)

Really for such a low performance setup, just get the cheapest you can buy. But the most you can get.. IE the max ram size and hd size. Speeds and such will make no difference in such a setup since even the slowest will be more than fast enough for an older machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom