Upgrading. Kindly suggest [~60k]

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I am done with my buddha system, which is in signature. I am not filling up all those questionnaires and stuffs, cause I will not be buying whole system.

- Budget: My budget is 60k (it was 50k actually, but after seeing Motherboard prices I actually farted)

- Components required: I am only upgrading my CPU, thus the Motherboard, and RAM obviously. Nothing else major will be upgraded. Minor stuffs I will ask later.

- CPU: Now about the CPU I have decided to go with 5820k. Second in line is 6700k, but I don't like it because its same 4C8T architecture, I would love to have a Hexa core system. So is this a ridiculous decision to go for an older generation over newer and all? If my simple brain serves me right then I think the 5820k is a powerful more processor than the Skylake right, being the dye area larger and all that? Or am I wrong? In any case my first preference is 6C12T.

- Motherboard: Now the main thing is motherboard. Anirban (goes by same username here I think) suggested a motherboard, Asus Maximus Hero Z170. That board is slightly above my budget, but I will make do. Now the main thing is I am kind of scared about Asus motherboard honestly, cause I have had several weeks of headache early on with my SABERTOOTH X58, not powering on at single go, lesser amount of RAM detection than normal etc., I might had bad luck with it, but whatever. Will MSI and others be better? NO AS ROCK!

What I need in the motherboard? I don't know! USB 3.1 is a must. And I would not mind if it comes with gold plated audio connectors, possible? :D I won't have SLI set up. I don't need fancy lights and all. But it should be durable, and should have at least 4 extra fan slots. Durability and built is the main requirement here. Don't want to miss any features from my current one. Front USB 3.1 and HD audio will be needed, are those motherboard related thing, or cabinet compatibility?

- Memory Modules/ RAM: And lastly just suggest any G-Skill DDR4 RAM (No Corsair please). Will 2100 MHz do fine? And I currently have 8 gigs of RAM. But if I see right current market doesn't offer any 6 GB single module, so that I can go for a pair and have 12 gigs. Isn't 16 gigs kind of an overkill?

- PSU (if needed): And lastly will I need to change my PSU? I use the Corsair TX650, and don't really want to change it unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance.

PS: As usual, no unnecessary i5 or AMD suggestions, kindly.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
If you are going for 5820K, you need a X99 motherboard not a Z170 as those are for Skylake and X99 is for Haswell-E
And X99 motherboard are more expensive than Z170

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Okay, thanks for informing that. Any suggestions on any motherboard? Starting with the cheap ones I mean?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget - 60k (Modified) SkyLake Config

ProcessorIntel Core i7 6700K25,000
CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 120V Plus5,000
MotherboardMSI Z170A Krait Gaming16,000
MemoryCorsair Vengeance 16GB 2400MHz DDR48,000
Power SupplySeasonic M12II 520w6,000
Total60,000

Budget - 69k (Modified) Haswell-E Config

ProcessorIntel Core i7 5820K
MotherboardMSI X99A SLI Krait Edition
Total69,000

D

Deleted member 118788

^ Isn't his current PSU better than what you are suggesting? Corsair TX650 ? I don't see the need of changing the PSU.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Budget - 60k (Modified) SkyLake Config

ProcessorIntel Core i7 6700K25,000
MotherboardMSI Z170A Krait Gaming16,000
Total60,000

Budget - 69k (Modified) Haswell-E Config

ProcessorIntel Core i7 5820K
MotherboardMSI X99A SLI Krait Edition
Total69,000

OP already has a better PSU, einstein.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I don't know, there will be no Corsair in my system any more. Except for the PSU, where I am just being cheap, but will upgrade it later anyway :)

Thanks for the suggestions. Everything is settled now. Just one question, quite a lot of people complain/comment that MSI boards are not good for overclocking purpose? Is that true? I have read several reports that overclocking on an MSI board messes up and sets improper settings in BIOS and stuffs, which doesn't happen on Asus boards, are those reports true, or BS?

And lastly, I need a cabinet, a big arse one. Currently have a CM 690 II Plus, hate it. Need something with more space, especially at top side, the width wise, and the rear side should be enough open so that I can install a bloody custom cooler without needing to remove the motherboard from the cabinet.

Top Bottom