Upgrading from the hp dv6-6017tx!!

evil_maverick

Journeyman
Hey ppl,
long time!!
been a proud owner of the HP Dv6 6017 tx for over a year now...
but lately have been thinkin of selling it off and getting a new one(for the sake of upgrading)...
at last got a decent deal to sell it off(for the record not having any probs wt soever with the laptop)
but still stuck..confused should i sell it off??
i have narrowed down to the following ::
1) Asus K55VM-SX086D
2) Samsung NP350V5C-S06IN

so is it worth upgrading??
or should is stick to the same??

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Both ASUS and Samsung models which you have mentioned will infact be a downgrade in terms of GPU....The GT 630 of ASUS and HD 7670 are in fact inferior in performance compared to 6770M that your 6017tx has.If you want a slightly better performance,go for Dell Inspiron 15R with 7730M or Samssung with GT650M graphics.That will in some sense provide you a true upgrade.

My personal advice-Retain your dv6 for the time being,and then upgrade to something really worth the money,like G75 of ASuS.That will give you an upgrade which will be worth the money.If you sell you dv6 now,There will not be too much improvement over dv6 when you go for Samsung or Dell Inspiron model with gt650 or 7730m respectively.The dell and samsung models( with 7730 and gt650) are no doubt better than dv6,but it doesn't justify to spend nearly 20 grands for such an upgrade.

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
Both ASUS and Samsung models which you have mentioned will infact be a downgrade in terms of GPU....The GT 630 of ASUS and HD 7670 are in fact inferior in performance compared to 6770M that your 6017tx has.If you want a slightly better performance,go for Dell Inspiron 15R with 7730M or Samssung with GT650M graphics.That will in some sense provide you a true upgrade.

My personal advice-Retain your dv6 for the time being,and then upgrade to something really worth the money,like G75 of ASuS.That will give you an upgrade which will be worth the money.If you sell you dv6 now,There will not be too much improvement over dv6 when you go for Samsung or Dell Inspiron model with gt650 or 7730m respectively.The dell and samsung models( with 7730 and gt650) are no doubt better than dv6,but it doesn't justify to spend nearly 20 grands for such an upgrade.

Thanks a ton!!!
That really helped me make a decision!!

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
BTW,whats your decision??:-D
Not upgrading any more!!!!!
fallen in love with mah dv6 6017 tx again!!!!!
looking to upgrade the RAM though......
can i use this, i mean add this to the existing setup??? --
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) Laptop RAM (CMSX4GX3M1A1600C9) - Corsair: Flipkart.com

ParaXite

Power User
Your dv6 is fine for about 2-3 years from now speaking about graphic performance. The best upgrade you can give to your laptop for general speed improvement is installing an SSD (in addition to your Hard disk) and installing the OS and frequently used software on it.

P.S. Do upgrade your RAM to 8 GB. I did it as soon as I bought my dv6. :)

Last edited:

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
Not upgrading any more!!!!!
fallen in love with mah dv6 6017 tx again!!!!!
looking to upgrade the RAM though......
can i use this, i mean add this to the existing setup??? --
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) Laptop RAM (CMSX4GX3M1A1600C9) - Corsair: Flipkart.com

It will work,but 1333MHz 4GB ram will be the best for you,...You wont get any additional performance in 1600MHz over 1333MHz,as our lappy supports that frequency max..But I will personally advice you to go for a 8GB RAM..Reasons-In another year,you may probably crave for more memory,and then you'll have to get rid of one of your sticks,which you'll probably sell for peanuts by that time,better invest a few hundreds more,and get yourself a 8GB ram.Caution-I was in the market for a lappy when 6017tx was launched, and I remember clearly that it supported 8GB max,better check with hp,before investing.If I remember clearly,the very few differences btwn 6017 and 6121 was the maxm RAM capacity.
Also,if you are in a mood for an upgrade,try adding a SSD,but you will have to sacrifice your optical drive for it.Alternatively,if you dont want to sacrifice that,but want a SSd like speed you may opt for Seagate Momentus XT drive,Its really awesome.Its actually a hybrid drive,with speeds upto 80% of SSD.One of my relatives recently bought a 750GB version of that,and trust me,its worth of it.It will cost you arnd 8.5K.In 8.5k,you'll get a blazing fast laptop which will be neck to neck,if not the best,amongst the current gen lappy's.

Top Bottom