Upgrading from a first gen i5 laptop - moderate gaming required - budget 35k

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Okay.. I'll look into that model.. Its just the processor that concerns me. Lenovo Z500 is priced at 45k.. goes way over my budget unfortunately. I was comfortable with a 35k budget but there really needs to be something spectacular to make it go to 40k :-/
i would definitely say better than Samsung, HP and SONY and lenovo and Dell have been manufacturing laptops from quite a old time and there service is better than Samsung.

if you have doubt about sony then go for lenovo z500

Thanks mate. I'm assuming its the same G6-2313TX with windows 8 and an additional 500gb hard disk. I have a legit copy of windows with me so would rather save on the 4k.
btw, since gaming is the main criteria here, why not the Asus X53TK(Link)?
It flaunts the same 7670m albeit with 1gb memory. However, i don't plan to game at more than 768p resolution. Also, for gaming the performance should be roughly similar to the g6. I may be wrong here.. SMC quoted a price of 26k for this laptop over the phone. I'm sure he would budge more when negotiated in person.
I would like to suggest HP G6 2320TX...Its available for 39k in most of the HP worlds now and has a pretty good configuration.Plus it will easily tame medium gaming sessions.
Utter Confusion! :-S

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Go in for the hp I have one as well with a8 CPU and dual graphics its a great laptop except for the keyboard layout which nearly all the laptops suggested here have

Cilus

laborare est orare
Nopes. A8 is good for medicore gaming and on that budget, you can get latest A10-5750M Richland CPU based laptops from brands like Lenovo which offers 20% performance over even the A10-4600M, the most powerful Trinity based APU.

And Dual Graphics is not at all mature which is basically a Hybrid CrossfireX solution, is not mature enough, even with the latest Catalyst 13.8 driver. Check the review in Tomshardware and you will find out. I have checked the Laptop configs suggested here and in my opinion, a 3rd Gen i5 + HD 8750M is the best configuration for gaming. But not sure about the heating issues of the Samsung laptop.
In general, look for something like an i5 + GT 635M or 640M. Even a GT 720M can be considered which offers performance between a GT 630M and 635M (based on older Fermi). In AMD front, HD 8750M (128 Bit 384 GCN Cores) or HD 8670M (64 Bit, 384 GCN Cores) should be the choice.

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Go in for the hp I have one as well with a8 CPU and dual graphics its a great laptop except for the keyboard layout which nearly all the laptops suggested here have
Thank you for replying! I didn't really like the looks of the hp g6. I'll check it once again though. The thing is I don't really see A-CX being applied on most games. Without crossfire, the performance is nowhere near an 8750m/635m/740m.

Nopes. A8 is good for medicore gaming and on that budget, you can get latest A10-5750M Richland CPU based laptops from brands like Lenovo which offers 20% performance over even the A10-4600M, the most powerful Trinity based APU.

And Dual Graphics is not at all mature which is basically a Hybrid CrossfireX solution, is not mature enough, even with the latest Catalyst 13.8 driver. Check the review in Tomshardware and you will find out. I have checked the Laptop configs suggested here and in my opinion, a 3rd Gen i5 + HD 8750M is the best configuration for gaming. But not sure about the heating issues of the Samsung laptop.
In general, look for something like an i5 + GT 635M or 640M. Even a GT 720M can be considered which offers performance between a GT 630M and 635M (based on older Fermi). In AMD front, HD 8750M (128 Bit 384 GCN Cores) or HD 8670M (64 Bit, 384 GCN Cores) should be the choice.

3rd gen i5+8750m costs around 43k. that is beyond my budget so I can either afford i3+8750m(samsung np370r5e) or the i3 ulv+740m(sont fit 15e).
Isn't there something that comes with DOS? I don't really need windows.. if samsung's i5+8750m came with dos, it would have been at least 3k cheaper. :(
How is the ASUS K55VJ-SJ120D?(Intel Core i5 3210- 8GB RAM- 750GB HDD- 15.6 Inches- DOS- 2GB - 635M)
I've been reading a lot of complaints on flipkart where a similar i7 model overheats and shuts down after 20 mins of gaming(wth!?).
Looking at all this I was considering the cheaper Asus X53TK(A6-3400, 4gb, 320gb, 7670m, dos) so that I could save money now and buy something better with a bigger budget 1.5 years down the line). However, if the samsung one doesn't overheat I'd rather stick with that(should I?)
mayday!! mayday!!!

rouble

Journeyman
Dude have a look at this if you haven't seen it..You can't go wrong with this.
It covers all your points and even more..It will be the right choice if you are not dying for only a 8750m gpu.
Samsung NP350V5C-S02IN Laptop
Listing of the same lapop on Flipkart Samsung NP350V5C-S02IN Laptop

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
I needed something better than the 7670m at this price point. I can get a 7670m based machine for less than the NP350. Like I said before, the X53TK represents more vfm than other 7670m based machines.
Any other richland based notebooks to consider?
It covers all your points and even more..It will be the right choice if you are not dying for only a 8750m gpu.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

True but he ll have to extend his budget a bit for i5 for his budget he can get amd a10 easily

I also have a dell inspiron 15R 7520 as well as hp pavilion g6 and both are solid performers only the dell remains cooler than the hp
I have a Samsung as well which has alot of issues with the service centre etc dont take Samsung trust me they think Indians are fools and are trying to lure them to their crappy products

Cilus

laborare est orare

Check the very 1st post here where OP has shortlisted another Samsung laptop with almost identical configuration (but higher version of i5). But other members are pointing out the heating issue and CPU throttling problem ot it. Actually HD 7670M is not a good GPU for gaming now a days.

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
True but he ll have to extend his budget a bit for i5 for his budget he can get amd a10 easily

I also have a dell inspiron 15R 7520 as well as hp pavilion g6 and both are solid performers only the dell remains cooler than the hp
I have a Samsung as well which has alot of issues with the service centre etc dont take Samsung trust me they think Indians are fools and are trying to lure them to their crappy products
Oh ho! I went to a store and saw the NP370 today. It looked pretty solid to me but then the VAIO Fit 15E was presented and it was definitely a looker. Now if Samsung has absurd service for its laptops (and realizing most of them overheat), I'm losing interest in it. which samsung laptop do you have?

Check the very 1st post here where OP has shortlisted another Samsung laptop with almost identical configuration (but higher version of i5). But other members are pointing out the heating issue and CPU throttling problem ot it. Actually HD 7670M is not a good GPU for gaming now a days.

True!
Now samsung has issues, sony has a weaker processor, hp has 7670m, asus - overheats(or only the particular i7 variant does?).. now what? :-/

powerstarprince

In the zone
I think this one is the best for u.. u should increase ur budget by around 3k for this..
*www.snapdeal.com/product/hp-pavili...9138589?utm_source=omegatxn&utm_campaign=afts

hd 8670m > gt 720m of lenovo g500s which is at same price too

Last edited:
OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Co-incidentally, notebookcheck has put up a review of the lenovo g505s and it states "People looking for a gaming capable notebook better continue their search. The G505s can play a few current 3D games smoothly, but only when low resolution and low quality settings are chosen."
:)
go with the lenovo g505s .. a8 richland..

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
okay.. I am now giving the Asus X53TK a serious thought.. Anyone care to comment? It seems a decent buy for 26k. I've read that the A6-3420 can be overclocked to 2.8Ghz and the 7670m is already a decent gpu and with 6520g+7670m a-crossfire solution, some current-gen games(like crysis 3) can run better(at least 30fps at medium settings). Any game which is playable at medium settings is more than decent for me.
If I go with this, I can save money and buy a better ~50k laptop next year..

PS - I do want to max out FIFA 13 and the upcoming FIFA 14 at the monitor's native 768p resolution.

What do you guys think?

powerstarprince

In the zone
Its a good option but don't overclock.. the cpu itself heats a lot and when u oc it gets even worse. Try to stabilize turbo boost and allow it to always run at 2.4 ghz when running games. Fifa 14 has fair chances of running maxed using hd 7670m.

If u still wanna spend 35k get this HP Pavilion 15-e021TX Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 1GB Graph) - HP: Flipkart.com

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
okay. Some guy on his blog has written that the liano cpu's are over-volted on stock settings so there's some head-room in that department. he suggested both undervolting and overclocking at the same time. I can see several people being successful in gaining performance by following his tutorial(LINK) I did see that hp model. But, isn't 8670m marginally better than 7670m? (Also, the Samsung NP370R5E-S06IN is better equipped and is cheaper but people here are recommending against samsung notebooks)
Its a good option but don't overclock.. the cpu itself heats a lot and when u oc it gets even worse. Try to stabilize turbo boost and allow it to always run at 2.4 ghz when running games. Fifa 14 has fair chances of running maxed using hd 7670m.

If u still wanna spend 35k get this HP Pavilion 15-e021TX Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 1GB Graph) - HP: Flipkart.com

Last edited:

powerstarprince

In the zone
*forum.lowyat.net/topic/2504771/all
This is also an overclockin guide
Yeah 8670m is marginally better but still it's not that bad to have. It might perform at the lvl of 8730 in most games..

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Thanks for the guide!
okay.. what about an i3-3227u+7670m combo(dell inspiron 15)? What should perform better? - gaming and normal day-to-day basic tasks - A stock(or overclocked?) A6-3420m+7670m or i3 3227u+7670m?
*forum.lowyat.net/topic/2504771/all
This is also an overclockin guide
Yeah 8670m is marginally better but still it's not that bad to have. It might perform at the lvl of 8730 in most games..

powerstarprince

In the zone
At stock speeds, an i3 3227u should perform better than a6 3420m in most of the apps and games. Overclocking the a6 can improve a bit but not much.. it may not equal the performance of i3. For gaming both of them are okay since 7670m is just a mid-range gpu.
Only diff.. u get with the asus laptop is that the dgpu can be used in crossfire with integrated and this may improve performance even more in some games. Also that the asus is cheaper for a laptop with the same gpu hd 7670m.

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
The link you showed however, shows the a6 as a very potent chip. The WEI after the overclock went up to 7.3 for the processor! I'm sure it tramps the i3-3227u after being overclocked.. don't you think so?
At stock speeds, an i3 3227u should perform better than a6 3420m in most of the apps and games. Overclocking the a6 can improve a bit but not much.. it may not equal the performance of i3. For gaming both of them are okay since 7670m is just a mid-range gpu.
Only diff.. u get with the asus laptop is that the dgpu can be used in crossfire with integrated and this may improve performance even more in some games. Also that the asus is cheaper for a laptop with the same gpu hd 7670m.

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
bought the asus x53tk.. overclocked and undervolted the cpu from 1.5 GHz to 2.35 Ghz. Also, overclocked the GPU(7670m) from 600/900 MHz to 725/1055 MHz. upgraded the ram from 4gb to 8gb. The WEI for the CPU shot up from 6.5 to 7.1.. the base score is now 5.9(HDD).. Also, there is a noticeable improvement in frame rates in games after the overclock.. Temperatures are still under 85 degreed for the cpu and around 75 degrees in maximum stress mode.
Have an old backlog of games to clear (starting from the year 2005) so this should serve for 1.5 years at least considering that 2012-13 games can still run in medium settings at 768p resolution.
Thank you everyone for the assistance..

Top Bottom