[Upgrade] Procci + Mobo + Ram + Gpu

abhifusion

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Gaming (FPS & RPGs), Surfing. Editing , Watching Movies.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: ~60k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Will be keeing HDDs from old build.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:
Monitor: Dell SP2208WFP
PSU: Corsair VX550
Cabinet: CM 690
Mouse & Keyboard

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: In a month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I have build it before.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Pune. Open to ol purchase.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
Following components crossed my mind during the initial component hunt ...
CPU: Intel i7 4770k or i5 4670k (If I go for i5 will be saving up ~6k straight up ! But i'm tempted to get i7 :p)
Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro
Ram: Corsair
GPU: Was looking out for R9 280x but I feel its overpriced at current market rate.
Cabinet: CM Storm Trooper caught my eye, if my first gen CM 690 isn't gonna suffice for new gen cards, will try to squeeze trooper.

i5 4570k (16000)
Asus Z87 A (12000)
G.Skill RipjawsX 1600 MHz 4 GB (3000)
Sapphire R9 280X DualX 2 GB OC (23000)
Corsair GS600 (5300)

total: 59,300

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
i recommend r9 290 at 34k as he already has a capable psu. it is slightly out of budget, but worth the money spend.

OP
A

abhifusion

Broken In
I don't plan to overclock untill I get a good CPU cooler ...

Is there any chance of 280x /290 price cut in coming month or two ?? I rekon R9 290 was supposed to cost 399$, 450$ with custom cooler :-/

NiGHtfUrY

Journeyman
I don't plan to overclock untill I get a good CPU cooler ...

Is there any chance of 280x /290 price cut in coming month or two ?? I rekon R9 290 was supposed to cost 399$, 450$ with custom cooler :-/

Or you can skip the overclocking all togther,you wont gain much gaming performance out of it and overclocking a Haswell to considerable amounts requires a bit more than the usual 2k cooler,so it will only add to cost. If you go with i5-4670 you can almost save 7-9k ,you can even opt for the i7-4770 if you absolutely want an i7.
This will allow you to easily fit a 290 in your budget.

OP
A

abhifusion

Broken In
A little change in plans...

As of now finalised following components:

Procci: i7 4770k
GPU: Sapphire Tri-X 290
PSU: Seasonic X-750 (Corsair VX550 won't be sufficient I guess, + its 3yr old. Any better alternatives to this?)

Still confused about motherboard.

Should I go with Asus Z87 Pro / Maximus VI Hero or any better alternative is available in this category?

Decided to go for i7, 290 & mainstream mobo just for the sake of "Futureproofing"... Will be keeping this RIG for 5-6 years...

A little change in plans...

As of now finalised following components:

Procci: i7 4770k
GPU: Sapphire Tri-X 290
PSU: Seasonic X-750 (Corsair VX550 won't be sufficient I guess, + its 3yr old. Any better alternatives to this?)

Still confused about motherboard.

Should I go with Asus Z87 Pro / Maximus VI Hero or any better alternative is available in this category?

Decided to go for i7, 290 & mainstream mobo just for the sake of "Futureproofing"... Will be keeping this RIG for 5-6 years...

Even i5 4570k will be equally future proof'. i7 4770k is a total waste for gaming. Reconsider this.

OP
A

abhifusion

Broken In
But I see upcoming games using more and more cores, PS4/Xbox games will be optimised for 8 cores so won't they show better results on i7 (8 cores with ht) compares to i5 quad cores ?

But I see upcoming games using more and more cores, PS4/Xbox games will be optimised for 8 cores so won't they show better results on i7 (8 cores with ht) compares to i5 quad cores ?

Do games lack in i5 that you expect to see 'visible' difference? Also, by your reason, you should go for FX 8350 instead of i7 4770 (8 cores vs 4).

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Even i5 4570k will be equally future proof'. i7 4770k is a total waste for gaming. Reconsider this.

Do games lack in i5 that you expect to see 'visible' difference? Also, by your reason, you should go for FX 8350 instead of i7 4770 (8 cores vs 4).

not completely true.i7 4770k will not be total waste for gaming as far as future gaming will be concerned. games have already started using 4 cores and that is why we see improvements for i5 and i7 over i3. hyperthreading has also go attention from games, and that is why i3 shows improvement over pentium on some games. we are seeing same performance for i5 and i7 due to that fact that games uses a maximum of 4 cores only(?assumption) , i5 and i7 has 4 real performing cores and hyperthreading of i7 does not have any impact.so the next upcoming games may use hyperthreading+ 4 cores where i7 will have an edge over i5.again my assumption, but i guess ,it will come true in future.

OP
A

abhifusion

Broken In
Exactly my thought @rijinpk1 ... Since as of now these two are closely matched I'll take call on that after buying other components.

Which PSU should I go for ? Reading good reviews about Seasonic X-750 / XFX Black 750 but how good is after sales of these companies compared to Corsair in India ? Should I stick to corsair ??

And suggest motherboard too ! I really can't decide between Asus Z87 Pro and Maximus VI Hero; is there better alternative from Gigabyte ? Avoiding MSI because of its doubtful AfSS & rumours that its shutting its shop in India ...

Exactly my thought @rijinpk1 ... Since as of now these two are closely matched I'll take call on that after buying other components.

Which PSU should I go for ? Reading good reviews about Seasonic X-750 / XFX Black 750 but how good is after sales of these companies compared to Corsair in India ? Should I stick to corsair ??

And suggest motherboard too ! I really can't decide between Asus Z87 Pro and Maximus VI Hero; is there better alternative from Gigabyte ? Avoiding MSI because of its doubtful AfSS & rumours that its shutting its shop in India ...

> Do you mean you'll buy the processor after buying other components?

> XFX has no A.S.S. in India AFAIK. Seasonic and Corsair's higher end models (GS and TX) are excellent. Corsair TX750v2 and Seasonic M12II 750 are good models but TX650v2 is slightly cheaper.

> I'd choose Maximum for it's more features.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

corsair has excellent after sales support. get corsair ax 860 if you want to crossfire in future. else ax 760 / tx 650v2 will be fine. that seasonic one is also very good.
for motherboard, z87 pro is more than enough for even high(?) overclocks. dont forget to get a good cooler. dont choose MSI products.

OP
A

abhifusion

Broken In
> Do you mean you'll buy the processor after buying other components?

Yea, depending upon the remaining budget i'll take a call on 4670k / 4770k :) ...

> XFX has no A.S.S. in India AFAIK. Seasonic and Corsair's higher end models (GS and TX) are excellent. Corsair TX750v2 and Seasonic M12II 750 are good models but TX650v2 is slightly cheaper.

I was hoping to go for Gold rated PSu viz
Seasonic SS-650KM3 650 Watts PSU - Seasonic: Flipkart.com or
Seasonic SS-750KM3 750 Watts PSU - Seasonic: Flipkart.com

> I'd choose Maximum for it's more features.

Replies in bold

- - - Updated - - -

corsair has excellent after sales support. get corsair ax 860 if you want to crossfire in future. else ax 760 / tx 650v2 will be fine. that seasonic one is also very good.
for motherboard, z87 pro is more than enough for even high(?) overclocks. dont forget to get a good cooler. dont choose MSI products.

What do you think of PSUs i listed in reply to Harshil ? 14k for ax860 sounds too much !

Hope I get to shortlist motherboard soon, too much confusion :-D

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Replies in bold

- - - Updated - - -

What do you think of PSUs i listed in reply to Harshil ? 14k for ax860 sounds too much !

Hope I get to shortlist motherboard soon, too much confusion :-D

for any single gpu, seasonic s12ii 620/m12 ii 650 or corsair tx 650v2 is more than enough. the chosen psus are also very good choices.

Top Bottom