Upgrade My Computer (i7 920) or Buy an Xbox

rahul941400

Broken In
Hi there,
I am a little confused, I have a computer with the configuration as mentioned in my signature (though my motherboard is UD7 probably not UD5). My hardware knowledge is very outdated (about 5 at the least) so I need help. Anyways I have 3 options.

Option 1:
* I have 6GB tri channel RAM, I could upgrade to 24 GB.
* I have ATI HD5770 1GB GPU, I can X-Fire it with a HD5970 (please advice if therez a better option)
* I dnt have a cooling system. So perhaps I can get a Liquid cooling system for my CM690 (I have had a few heat issues while processing 1080p video)
* 2 TB Caviar Black
please advice if therez anything else I might add and why?

Option 2:
I can leave the computer as it is and spend the money on Xbox one (non kinect version), because the game I really want to play the most is an Xbox exclusive unfortunately. PC port is nowhere in sight.

Option 3:
I can upgrade some of the things mentioned in option 1 and buy a x360? If this is the option I should choose. Then please advice on what to upgrade in my PC?

Its sad that it has come to this, I never really wanted to buy a. The age of console exclusives is driving me nuts. But cant do anything about it.

Also, I have 22inch Benq TFT which I really love. It has worked absolutely amazing over the past 4 years even though I had bought it back then with the thought of changing it later on.. but never felt like it. But I was thinking of upgrading to 27 inch. Which monitor would you suggest? (I am not really an AOC fan, so perhaps any other thn that?)

Thanks in advance guys. This forum helped me buy amazing config and I hope will get good advice this time also.

Regards,
Rahul

Last edited:

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Do you want to play specifically ONE game in Xbox and that is why aiming for it , or are you looking at a spectrum where there are multitude of Xbox Exclusives which you think you would crave in near future. I don't know about "the game" you have in mind, but its sure is a more enticing thought to look at PS4 once since it clearly has better "Exclusives" for a console in upcoming year ( Based on E3 of course). Mention the game maybe?

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
* I have 6GB tri channel RAM, I could upgrade to 24 GB.
* I have ATI HD5770 1GB GPU, I can X-Fire it with a HD5970 (please advice if therez a better option)
Rahul

1.) If you have decent high performance RAM already then expanding it to 8gb would be enough. 24 gb is massive overkill as pretty much nothing needs that kind of memory(I am talking about games). So unless you are into heavy photoshop+image and video editing +vmwares, you are good with 8gb
2.) Sell your current card and opt for a single powerful gpu. Crossfire as well as SLI has issues in some games.

And if you want to opt for a console,then wait for a price drop for the PS4. No point getting a last gen console unless you want to play all the old database of games available for it. For that, you can buy a used previous gen console for cheap.

OP
R

rahul941400

Broken In
Do you want to play specifically ONE game in Xbox and that is why aiming for it , or are you looking at a spectrum where there are multitude of Xbox Exclusives which you think you would crave in near future. I don't know about "the game" you have in mind, but its sure is a more enticing thought to look at PS4 once since it clearly has better "Exclusives" for a console in upcoming year ( Based on E3 of course). Mention the game maybe?

Hi well I wanted to get the Halo the master chief collection, so that isn't one game.. its 4. I am not interested in PS4 exclusives ur talking about (I've seen both E3's). Also the Xbox without Kinect sounds like a fine deal. what do you think?

- - - Updated - - -

1.) If you have decent high performance RAM already then expanding it to 8gb would be enough. 24 gb is massive overkill as pretty much nothing needs that kind of memory(I am talking about games). So unless you are into heavy photoshop+image and video editing +vmwares, you are good with 8gb
2.) Sell your current card and opt for a single powerful gpu. Crossfire as well as SLI has issues in some games.

And if you want to opt for a console,then wait for a price drop for the PS4. No point getting a last gen console unless you want to play all the old database of games available for it. For that, you can buy a used previous gen console for cheap.

8GB? Will that be fine on a tri-channel optimized chipset? I mean thats what I was told when I bought the 6GB tri channel RAM. And maybe just 12GB shall be fine. I sometimes do HD video editing and and sometimes vfx, I know I still don't need 12GB, but if I upgrade I want to ensure I don't need to get RAM again for atleast 3-4 years, right?

your 2nd point makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

you cant crossfire a 5970 with a 5770.

Ohkay I didn't know that. So that means I'll have to get another HD5770 to xfire. well that doesnt sound very reasonable, I'll just get a new card perhaps.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
this is ridiculous :D, upgrade the pc ofcourse and if you want to play a certain xbox game, get a used console for cheap, its not worth wasting money on a console once you have a decent config(20k+ rigs for real are more vfm than consoles)
for those touting ps4 as advice for the op , i can only facepalm
since op wants an xbox exclusive he should get a decent deal on an xbox minus the extras and use it only for that game and other exclusives and upgrade his pc(gpu especially,atleast get a HD7770) and other pc upgrades
anything above 16gb is overkill,even 8gb is more than enough for gaming
hope i helped :)

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
you have 6gb ram and is enough for todays games. to play games on your pc with good settings, you have to get a good gpu. you have a good enough cpu too.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Oh I didn't pay attention that you have a tri channel ram setup. So 3 sticks of 2gb I'm guessing. And then sell those 3 sticks. It should fetch you somewhere around 2.5-3k.
Add 2.5k to that and get two 4gb sticks of kingston hyperx blu. Trust me 8gb will be enough. And if its not you can always increase it by adding 2 more sticks of 4gb. DDR4 is not too far away either.
[MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION] Suggested the ps4 in the scenario that op changes his mind and wants to choose a console. And there is only so long you can play an exclusive before one gets bored of it. Also, I did suggest that if op is adamant then he can opt for a used console on which his desired games are.

OP
R

rahul941400

Broken In
Longest of all present options I guess...

Haha well thn I can finalize my option I think.
[MENTION=86813]Jripper[/MENTION]: I have a question. You suggested me 2 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu instead of asking me to just get another corsair 2GB 1600MHz RAM. Why is that? As per this: Image 1 of 1 in forum thread ?Dual Channel RAM in Triple Channel Mobo - Performance effects?? If I put four modules of 2GB... There doesn't seem to be alot of difference. Is HyperX Blu special in some way?

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
The reason for that is, in case you install an after market cpu cooler, it usually takes up the first RAM slot. so you can't have a RAM in there. Hence 2 4gb sticks in the 2nd and 4th ram slots will give you dual channel memory as well as allowing you to upgrade your memory with 4gb kits in the future if you need it. And yes, the hyperx blu rams are good overclockers as well from what I hear. And they are low profile rams as well so you can use all 4 slots with certain aftermarket cpu coolers.

OP
R

rahul941400

Broken In
The reason for that is, in case you install an after market cpu cooler, it usually takes up the first RAM slot. so you can't have a RAM in there. Hence 2 4gb sticks in the 2nd and 4th ram slots will give you dual channel memory as well as allowing you to upgrade your memory with 4gb kits in the future if you need it. And yes, the hyperx blu rams are good overclockers as well from what I hear. And they are low profile rams as well so you can use all 4 slots with certain aftermarket cpu coolers.

Can you also recommend me a 'aftermarket cpu cooler', because back in May I was compiling about 15 minutes of HD footage in adobe premiere and aftereffects and my computer would shutdown automatically. I have to presume its because of heat issues. But its my mistake coz I didnt put an AC or Cooler in that room. I eventually had to place an external cooler with an open cabinet to finish my video. But I dnt want to damage my processor. Any recommendation?

sniperz1

Journeyman
Can you also recommend me a 'aftermarket cpu cooler', because back in May I was compiling about 15 minutes of HD footage in adobe premiere and aftereffects and my computer would shutdown automatically. I have to presume its because of heat issues. But its my mistake coz I didnt put an AC or Cooler in that room. I eventually had to place an external cooler with an open cabinet to finish my video. But I dnt want to damage my processor. Any recommendation?

If you are willing to expand your budget then get Noctua NH-D14 or Noctua NH-D15[newer model], One of the best cpu coolers with low noise. But its huge so you will have to check its compatibility with your case.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
[MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION] Do you think PC gaming has a future? :p Just asking for your opinion.

yeah pc gaming will never die, looking at the ps4 and xbox one pricing and limitations as a media device as well as the steam machines launches, i can safely assume,PC gaming is all uphill from here
the only thing is console exclusives which imho is not worth spending a premium on a console in the end
while these exclusives may not be present on PCs, steam and other companies(valve,unreal,crytek etc) will always have PCs as their main platform and the launch of steam os will help that
people feel that gaming pcs and laptops are expensive and are a waste but actually its cheaper in the long run and all part , accessories etc are cheaper and sometimes even better than console counterparts
in the end,its all down to preferences , but for me ,a 40k ps4 is useless if i cant watch movies off a pendrive from it or play games at higher textures than my gaming laptop which costs a bit more initially but games etc are cheaper and better

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I didn't pay attention that you have a tri channel ram setup. So 3 sticks of 2gb I'm guessing. And then sell those 3 sticks. It should fetch you somewhere around 2.5-3k.
Add 2.5k to that and get two 4gb sticks of kingston hyperx blu. Trust me 8gb will be enough. And if its not you can always increase it by adding 2 more sticks of 4gb. DDR4 is not too far away either.
[MENTION=184724]kkn13[/MENTION] Suggested the ps4 in the scenario that op changes his mind and wants to choose a console. And there is only so long you can play an exclusive before one gets bored of it. Also, I did suggest that if op is adamant then he can opt for a used console on which his desired games are.

fair enough but a ps4 is useless if you have a gaming pc,since he mentioned xbox exclusives,an xbox only for the exclusives makes sense
ps4 is a downgrade in alot of ways compared to prev gen(media compatibility etc)

Top Bottom