1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

upgrade issues

Discussion in 'Hardware Q&A' started by munim2020, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. munim2020

munim2020 New Member

hi guys..
    here is my PC config:
    intel p4 2.4 ghz
    asrock intel 865gv
    512 mb ddr266 ram
    80gb ata HDD
    bigtek nvidia geforce 6200 agp
    rest is not important..
    now the thing is i want to upgrade my computer..
    i don't want to sell my graphics card as i recently brought it and i am extremely happy with its performance.
    the problem is that i am a student and i don't have a big budget so i can't upgrade my mobo AND my processor...
    i feel i need to upgrade my mobo as the 865 chipset is really old.. but i need a new mobo which still supports AGP8x.
    also the m/b must support my current processor(478 socket).. i think this is not possible... am i right?
    my other concern is that my harddisk is the old ATA one and it has too much precious data.
    please advise me on what to do..

2. hotdogXP

hotdogXP New Member

I can only suggest you put in an additional RAM, whats the budget you are willing to spend...

3. mohit

mohit The Hardware Labs

post your exact budget for the upgrade. and please mention why do u wanna upgrade ?? where exactly do u want the perfomance boost like in gaming or in anything else ??

still what i suggest is you do the following,

Get an ASUS P4C-800 series mobo .. they are of the excellent performing Intel 875P chipset. This will cost you around 4-5k.

Upgrade your RAM to 512 MB DDR 400 from Kingston/Corsair/Transcend. This will be for 2.5k.

Buy a new Seagate SATA HDD and you can still use the old HDD also. This will be for 2.8k.

The above upgrade will be a boost in perfomance but not all the very best also. And the 865 chipset is also very decent and I dont see any real benefit of changing it. If you want better perfomance in gaming then just change your graphics card and upgrade your ram to ddr 400 512mb.

4. vijay_7287

vijay_7287 New Member

yeah prolly a RAM upgrade of 1gig of DDR 400 will do the job

5. darklord

darklord New Member

I dont think Asus P4C800 boards are available anymore.Even if they are i dont think they would cost 4-5k,definitely not.. :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.