Upgrade help for Mac newbie on his "new" old Mac iBook

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi,
I have recently got a iBook passed to me from my brother... It is around 5 to 6 years old I guess, and the model is noted as iBook G4... From "about this mac", I note that the processor is a PowerPC 1.07GHz G4 model... The OS version is 10.3.3 which after installing updates became 10.3.9...

Please let me know...
1. As far as I can find out, PowerPC proccies are supported upto OS X Leopard but not supported in Snow Leopard... Am I right? Please inform if it is possible now to purchase Upgrade license for Leopard and how much it will cost... Also, if someone can inform where it can be purchased in Anna Nagar locality of Chennai it will be useful as I will be coming there this weekend...

2. Also, for the above processor, which is the latest version of iWorks that is supported? How much will it cost? Is it worth the purchase over NeoOffice or OpenOffice...

3. The inbuilt RAM is 256 MB... Will it be useful to upgrade it? How much will upgrading cost... I presume the RAM module will be of older model but not sure which one...

Thanks in advance,
Arun

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
Urgent help needed since I will be in Chennai tomorrow... Hence bumping... Please help...

Thanks in advance
Arun

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. As far as I can find out, PowerPC proccies are supported upto OS X Leopard but not supported in Snow Leopard... Am I right? Please inform if it is possible now to purchase Upgrade license for Leopard and how much it will cost... Also, if someone can inform where it can be purchased in Anna Nagar locality of Chennai it will be useful as I will be coming there this weekend...
Finding Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard will be a very tough job. However, a new license for Snow Leopard costs only Rs.1,800.

These are the authorized Apple shops in Chennai: *www.apple.com/in/buy/locator/map.h...&lat=13.060422&lng=80.249583&gCountry=IN&c3=1

2. Also, for the above processor, which is the latest version of iWorks that is supported? How much will it cost? Is it worth the purchase over NeoOffice or OpenOffice...
iWork is actually very good but not worth the purchase over Neo/OpenOffice. I think that the latest iWork works under PowerPC. it costs Rs.4,700.

3. The inbuilt RAM is 256 MB... Will it be useful to upgrade it? How much will upgrading cost... I presume the RAM module will be of older model but not sure which one...
Upgrading it will be very useful, imho. But I think that the RAM of your iBook model is soldered on the board itself. It might have one empty DDR slot for future upgrades.

Last edited:
Top Bottom