Updating non-legit Windows 10

E|e<tr0|!0n

Broken In
My new laptop(which originally had DOS) has a cracked windows 10 ver 1511 installed by my local retailer.
How do I update it to Redstone builds without screwing anything up?
I fear using Windows update may lead to microsoft discovering the non-genuine copy. Is there any other reliable way to update it?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
MSDN keys indeed are not meant for resale but as long as they are not reported to Microsoft as stolen/leaked,they will work just fine.

Buy a genuine win 10 key(even if MSDN) & use that.Even if it is not morally right,it is still better than running a pirated OS.

Update:After some research I found out that most such sites/persons selling cheap win 10 keys are mostly stolen/leaked/purchased using stolen CC details etc & may be blocked by MS in future(though they may also continue to work too). I recommend buying only from MS store(link below).It is better not to give your money to 3rd parties as none of that money is going to MS anyway so why bother paying anything at all.Use older genuine win 7/8.1 OS from some old system/laptop or use Linux.

Buy Windows 10 Home - Microsoft Store India

Or you can buy a genuine OEM key from some reputed international site using paypal which will be costlier(~7000-8000 for win 10 pro).

Last edited:
OP
E|e<tr0|!0n

E|e<tr0|!0n

Broken In
I was thinking if I could use something like autopatcher or wsus offline update to download the update first and install while offline...

OP
E|e<tr0|!0n

E|e<tr0|!0n

Broken In
My retailer did activate it using some sort of crack, btw.
Is it that there's no risk in updating if it 'appears' activated?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is always a risk but you can try.MS is not that aggressive towards pirated win 10 versions.In fact you can even use a win 10 non-activated trial like version forever with a very few minor limitations.
You Don’t Need a Product Key to Install and Use Windows 10

billubakra

Conversation Architect
There is always a risk but you can try.MS is not that aggressive towards pirated win 10 versions.In fact you can even use a win 10 non-activated trial like version forever with a very few minor limitations.
You Don’t Need a Product Key to Install and Use Windows 10

What could be the reason for the same?

Top Bottom