naveenchandran

In the zone
GNOME 2.14.0 Final Released!!
*www.gnome.org/start/2.14/

*www.gnome.org/img/flash/two-fourteen.png

Gnome 2.14 Preview
*www.gnome.org/~davyd/gnome-2-14/

Some of the key new features:

The creation of an admin suite, including a lock down editor, Pessulus, and a user profile editor, Sabayon

A new search bar, called Deskbar, which can search through local files, programs and contacts as well as on the web

Ekiga, the VoIP client formerly known as GNOME Meeting. It can now communicate using the SIP protocol which is already used by Google Talk, Asterisk and others.

Performance work, making your desktop even snappier

The ability to switch users quickly, without logging off

Even easier configuration, allowing GNOME 2.14 to adapt to different users needs

Admin Suite

The new administration suite allows system administrators to control and configure the GNOME desktop to specific needs. Two new applications have been created for this: Pessulus allows administrators to lockdown the GNOME desktop for corporate environments, Internet cafes, and schools; and Sabayon allows administrators to graphically configure generic, role-based user profiles, exactly as they would configure their own desktop and then apply them to user accounts.

Deskbar

A new panel-based program launcher and search bar has been created, called Deskbar. Users will be able to use several internet search engines and content providers directly, without breaking workflow by starting another application. It will also enable them to launch desktop applications related to a word or phrase and its functionality is extensible by plugins.

Ekiga

GNOME 2.14 also includes Ekiga, the new version of GNOME's softphone client formally known as GNOME Meeting. With Ekiga, users are able to make video or audio calls over the Internet, using the industry standard protocal SIP. SIP is also used by Google Talk, and popular PBX software such as Asterisk.

Performance

This new release also includes several changes to improve system performance. Several important components of the GNOME desktop are now measurably faster, including text rendering, memory allocation, and numerous individual applications. Faster font rendering and memory allocation benefit all GNOME and GTK+ based applications without the need for recompilation. For application developers, a new memory allocator has been created, called GSlice, which will make the desktop more responsive and faster.

As always, GNOME 2.14 is not the end of development and performance work on the GNOME desktop. Users can expect even more with our 2.16 release, scheduled for September 2006.

Switching Users

GNOME 2.14 includes the ability to easily switch between users, and makes it possible to have multiple users logged in at the same time.

Easier Configuration

Based on response from user feedback, GNOME 2.14 includes a number of easy ways to configure how the desktop behaves. This includes making it easier to change default settings for applications as well as controlling sound events.

Availability

GNOME 2.14 will soon be available as part of most popular Linux distributions. For those who can't wait, the new GNOME LiveCD (available from www.gnome.org/start/2.14/) allows users and journalists to test the latest GNOME desktop by burning a CD and rebooting - no installation is necessary.

Developers and advanced users wishing to try and install GNOME 2.14 may download the source code or build scripts at www.gnome.org/start/2.14/.

Things I like most in this.....

Speed
Metacity integrated compositing manager
Beagle-enabled Search
Deskbar, a fabulous new panel applet
The notification framework

:D :D

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Now that's cool. ANd just saw that it will be available for FC5, as its release has been pushed to 20th March. I might have a look at this one.

Satissh S

Youngling
Sweet news.. I'll look out for any unstable ebuilds for my gentoo..
Ah it isn't gonna get to portage without rigorous testing.. and that'll take time! :) nyways guys post your experiences.
Integrated search is indeed sweet but you'll need inotify enabled kernel for that! So i wont (prolly) work on 2.4's

planetcall

Indian by heart
Great info. I will be upgrading my ubuntu once the new gnome release is added to the global repositories.

eddie

El mooooo
Satissh S said:
Sweet news.. I'll look out for any unstable ebuilds for my gentoo..
Ah it isn't gonna get to portage without rigorous testing.. and that'll take time! :)
Its already in portage and is also available on BMG.

Satissh S

Youngling
Portage?? Isn't it hard masked?? I'am not even using ~x86, where am i gonna use Break My Gentoo? I'll wait for sumtime.. till it becomes stable. Until then 2.12 ..

eddie

El mooooo
Man you were the guy who used Modular X before me (I read that post of yours ;) ) and you are saying that you are not even using arch? In any case it will take long before it reaches stable. You have that much of patience? Don't know why I am the impatient one. Currently running pure ~x86.

Satissh S

Youngling
Yes i'am using Modular(X) and then XGL. Since, then i'am facing a lot of probs and i have changed my WM from metacity to compiz, how will GNOME2.14 respond is a big question. Since then i resolved to use only stable packages.. not even masked by keywords!! Except XGL and Xorg 7.0 i'm not using any other ~x86 (touchwood!). ;)
Anyways iam using GNOME lite.. without evolution, epiphany etc., You??

eddie

El mooooo
I am using KDE 3.5.1 with nxsty's QT ebuild and pertty patches. Kmail and Konqueror as my primary internet applications.

I can never have patience like you man. I was even thinking to go GCC-4.1 once but then restrained my self. How do you wait for a month before you use any new app?

praka123

left this forum longback
prakash kerala said:
now downloading ubuntu dapper flight 5 containing gnome-2.14~beta
Downloaded and installed enabled all repos and apt.tried AIGLX and it failed for me :? .now tonight to try XGL..any how to is welcome :)

OP
N

naveenchandran

In the zone
Guyz FYI

GNOME 2.14 Start Page
*www.gnome.org/start/2.14/

GNOME 2.14 Release Notes
*www.gnome.org/start/2.14/notes/en/

If you are looking to simply try out GNOME, perhaps you should consider the popular GNOME LiveCD, a GNU/Linux-based LiveCD that showcases the latest GNOME technology.
*live.gnome.org/GnomeLiveCd

Distributions that ship GNOME as their Default Desktop
*www.gnome.org/~davyd/footware.shtml

@Prakash which Graphics Card do you have?

Found some Gnome2.14 Screenshots at
*art.gnome.org/screenshots/

Satissh S

Youngling
Hmm.. naveen?? does AIGLX support nvidia cards?? I saw in their page that i didn't but mite have changed now?? Hows it running on u'r machine??

Prakash: wats the problem mate?? nyways here is an how-to that helped me install XGL..
*gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XGL
good luck!! :D

OP
N

naveenchandran

In the zone
Satya Don't know exactly but status still says
nVidia: Any. No open DRI driver. Closed driver support coming soon though.

hmm... I don't have nvidia or ATI :(
Tried it on my ol' VIA S3 Unichrome IGP.... Don't work :(

I am downloading kororaa [*kororaa.org/] and trying it tommorrow...

Also Downloading Gentoo :)

Also SUSE Linux 10.1 Beta 8 has been released.

praka123

left this forum longback
Hai,i use intel 915GAV mobo with onboard GFX.now i tried XGL,now there is no window :? decorations....i followed a hw2 from ubuntu wiki.i think i should edit xorg.conf file to achieve this..

praka123

left this forum longback
Anyways leaved all experiments temparorily 4 now :? :) .here's my dapper flight5 updated to gnome-2.14 yesterday :mrgreen: I especially likes new gnome's Window Decoration

*iup.in/img/praka123/thumb/Screenshot2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom