update kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
is it possible to update a kernel b4 installin the Linux OS.. has anyone tried tat??....

if this is possible then any linux OS which does not support diff hardwares and b installed easily without having any sata drivers problem or any other hardware support probs. :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It should possible though I haven't really tried it. Atleast us gentoo users never have to really worry about that.
I think you will need to remaster the media after installing a new kernel. But, I don't know how easily you can do it without breaking much.

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
mehulved said:
It should possible though I haven't really tried it. Atleast us gentoo users never have to really worry about that.
why dont gentoo users hav tat problem???????

wat do u mean by "remaster the media" :confused:

mehulved

Cos most of the gentoo users I know of do a chroot'ed install and compile their own kernel. So, they can easily choose what kernel they want.
remaster means edit the contents and make another iso.

mehulved

sabayon = gentoo image - /dev + artwork + sabayon overlay
it's a pre-compiled gentoo install image. So, I guess you will need to have a similar gentoo setup on your PC and create an image of it.
But, it'd be better to ask sabayon dev's for more on this.

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
aaah.. yes... Thats true... Sabayon is a pre-compiled image... Thats why the installation is a hell lot faster than Gentoo. :D
Yeah, I'll research on it.. Thanks for the direction......

OP
vish786

vish786

"The Gentleman"
@mehulved

can u help me with this prob. read my post on this thread
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58455

eddie

El mooooo
vish786 said:
if this is possible then any linux OS which does not support diff hardwares and b installed easily without having any sata drivers problem or any other hardware support probs. :)
I have not tried it since very long but if the distro provides an installer-script then yes it can be done. All you need is to compile a kernel with all your needed modules...put it on a floppy and boot from it. Once you are done with booting, you can mount your CD/DVD and run the installation script from the mounted media. You can google for how to boot a kernel from floppy.

praka123

left this forum longback
I think some distros like fedora installer(anaconda) offers u to load 3rd party modules while installing via floppy :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom