Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
toms were able to unlock their 6950 2gb. and this is on march 23. so might be some cards out there still offer this possibility.
System Builder Marathon, March 2011: $1000 Enthusiast PC : System Builder Marathon: $1000 Enthusiast System
Assembly And Overclocking : System Builder Marathon, March 2011: $1000 Enthusiast PC

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ may be they got their hands on some old stock ;-)

anyway thanks for the nice find.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
weren't the newer stock 1gigs HD6950 laser cut to prevent unlocking?
AMD did this to prevent unlocking
as topgear said, its old stock

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
some may get unlocked but then the stability factor comes into play. most gamers will be happy with less performance than some random BSODs.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
sammy no damage chances. amd gives a dual bios switch also.

and 6950 1gb is locked. this scenario was with 6950 2gb only.

yes dual bios is helpful...i think its something of a backup thing??? isnt it Jas?? or....

about unlocking the 2gb 6950...

HD 6950 UNLOCK THREAD (at users risk) - Guru3D.com Forums

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

no. not talking about the damage in card but the effect in games. the GPU is locked cause it didn't passed the strict tests conducted by the team for stability.

so a dual bios will just help to unlock the card but there is little chance that the card won't be stable.

these glitches gets away once the manufacturing process gets mature & over a period of time with trial & testing. its a semiconductor chip, defects will always be there.

in short, "offer limited to 2Gb versions of HD6950 only". they should add these lines to the GPU box :smile:

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
actually sammy situation was different. amd was too much in hurry too manufacture 6950 and 6970. limited supplies. so it started selling like this. this is what i heard.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
possible. or maybe they have a bunch of evil ideas.

1. send HD6970 with locked modules to reviewers. some got unlocked (remember, not all. so it looks like a test of luck) & so they publish it. also release some in market so at least most of the initial batch gets unlocked. as a result, HD6950 outperformed Nvidia cards & stolen their customers.

2. HD6970 with some defects in the GPU. so lock it (not permanently) & send it to manufacturers. they sell it. if some gets unlocked, let it get.

3. or lastly what you told. HD6950 productivity was less than expected. so lock HD6970 & sell it as HD6950 WHICH I FEEL IS NOT. why? cause the risk of having defects in more on a bigger die i.e. HD6970. less on HD6950. so its highly unlikely HD6950 have productivity issues.

whatever be, now the GPU unlocking is as good as dead.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ no. read again. i mean HD6970.

1. 6970 with locked modules = HD6950. isn't?
2. 6970 locked cause of defects = HD6950.

now got it Jassy?

Top Bottom