Unix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishan

In the zone
i want learn unix, from wherre should i start? which things should be ther in my Pc? Where can i get them for free?

sknowonweb

Journeyman
Unix cant be got free of cost , instead u can get BSD , Linux and all those variants of unix .
I suggest BSD for u to get a closer experience like UNIX < SINCE Linux despite its popularity was made easier day by day for newbies .
For a PC there are shell program compiilers for windows platform .Try googling for that for a painless experience of scripting in unix.

The intro lessons of Unix is abt the overview of how unix functions . u can get more learning materials from unix.org / \ just google for unix .

and if its Linux > sky is the limit for materials .
there is even a special google.com/linux site functioning to search for linux oiented queries

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well a good way to start is by installing PC-BSD or DesktopBSD both projects are derived from FreeBSD. The latest version of both i.e. 1.0 are based on FreeBSD 6.0.
They are really easy to install and have KDE installed by default. The default shell is csh.
Have a look at these they are a really good way to start off with. Then you can move on to other BSD's. Once you have worked with BSD's mastering linux will be way easier.
Or later on you can try out Open Solaris and many other free Unix like OS's out there.

vandit

In the zone
does Unix also has a GUI,like linux? moreover to learn Unix in depth shouldn't the command prompt of unix be learn't first? And by the way what is the use of learning such outdated OS ????

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Original unix is dead now AFAIK. Now only there are unix based, unix compliant and unix derived operating systems. Have a look at this thread a bit *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23091
Yes you can have GUI in most if not all of them. KDE, GNOME and most of your windows managers are all available for these OS'es. But they mostly do not come out of the box you have to install and configure them yourselves.
Yes it's very important to learn the CLI part to get far but you can do that while using GUI too by firing up the terminal.
Unix and outdated??? Your windows still cannot match many of the capabilities that Unix had 40 years back.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
^^
I agree to that too...

as Tech said, please do try out PC-BSD/Free-BSD before trying out Ubuntu and such, its really nice and easy to use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom