uninstall the linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
format the partition in which linux is installed from within windows. right click on my computer on desktop and select manage. goto disk management. find the linux partition and format it. be careful to format the correct partition otherwise you'll risk losing data. then put in the windows installation disc and boot from it. select the repair option to restore windows boot loader (if grub was ur bootloader in linux)

OP
T

thecreativeboy

Journeyman
infra_red_dude said:
format the partition in which linux is installed from within windows. right click on my computer on desktop and select manage. goto disk management. find the linux partition and format it. be careful to format the correct partition otherwise you'll risk losing data. then put in the windows installation disc and boot from it. select the repair option to restore windows boot loader (if grub was ur bootloader in linux)

i try it.but my first boot loader is linux.then i will format it how can i enter into the windows.it will show the linux grub screen with error.then what can i do?

pillainp

Journeyman
@thecreativeboy:
What version of Windows are you running?
If Windows XP, log in as Administrator, go to My Computer>Manage>Disk Management and format the partition on which Linux is installed.
Then boot from the Windows XP disk and select Repair (do not go to the Recovery Console). At the prompt, type fixmbr and choose to ignore the warnings. Then reboot and you should be able to boot into Windows normally.

You can also go to My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery Settings and click the Settings button. On the dialog that pops up, click the Edit button again and then delete the line that refers to the Linux installation in boot.ini.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Nav11aug said:
infra red dude 's quote: I am not 60... I am 18 with 42 years of experience! :mrgreen:
hey pal.. thats some old man saying that! i'm only 22 now! so my statement is: I am not 22, I am 18 with 4 years of experience!!! ;)

pillainp said:
You can also go to My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery Settings and click the Settings button. On the dialog that pops up, click the Edit button again and then delete the line that refers to the Linux installation in boot.ini.
his system uses the linux boot loader which is not listed in boot.ini. so he'll hafta use the windows install cd to fix the MBR as i said above.

Last edited:
OP
T

thecreativeboy

Journeyman
infra_red_dude said:
yeah you can't enter windows. thats why i asked you to boot thru the windows setup disk and repair the boot sector.

how can i repair the boot sector using the windows cd.please tell me.i didnt know about the recovery console.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Problems with the master boot record (MBR) of a system may prevent the system from booting. The MBR may be affected by malicious code, become corrupted by disk errors, or be overwritten by other boot loaders when experimenting with multiple operating systems on a host. This recipe describes one method of repairing the MBR for an XP host using the recovery console.

Boot with the XP installation CD.

When prompted, press R to repair a Windows XP installation.

If repairing a host with multiple operating systems, select the appropriate one (XP) from the menu. If you have only one operating system, enter 1 to select it.

Enter the administrator password if prompted.

To fix the MBR, use the following command:

fixmbr

This assumes that your installation is on the C:\ drive. You will be presented with several scary warning lines the reading of which will make you want to say no. Microsoft is exceptionally vague regarding the conditions under which fixmbr can cause problems although they are clear about the consequences (losing all data on the hard drive), so use this at your own risk.

Type y and ENTER to fix the MBR.

Type exit to leave the recovery console and reboot.

taken from tech-receipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom