Unable to open XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

demha7

Right off the assembly line
I had Windows 98 on C: and windows XP on D:. I then installed Fedora Core 3 on the non-dos partition. The installation went well. But then when i tried to start Windows XP i got the message "hal.dll misssing or something like that and asked me to reinstall it. I downloaded the file and then copied in System32 folder but one was already there. Even if i replace the problem persisted. Windows 98 is running fine. As far as i can get it there shuold be a problem with boot.ini. Well the same problem occured twice on different computers and even heard the same from one of my friends. I think a few of u must have also dealt with it. Please help me out.

mediator

Technomancer
Please let us know ur partition configuration
hda1-? fat or ext3? 98 or xp? or linux?
had2 - ?......
like this please let us know

OP
D

demha7

On both the computers there were 4 Dos partitions all FAT32 c: containing Win98 and d: WinXP apart from this i also have a non dos partition in which i installed linux

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
The problem will be solved after repairing the windows.
Try to repair windows XP using its setup CD.

PS: After it u hv to again install Linux Boot loader.

rajas

In the zone
hal.dll is the one very important one in the bootup process of NT Operating system.

Try the very good artilcle
Rebuilding BOOT.INI to Correct "Missing or Corrupt HAL.DLL" Message in the Microsoft® Windows® XP Operating System
OR
"Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages when you start your computer

Both are one and the same..2nd explained simpler. Try the article as it worked for me 9 out ot 10 times i used it to my customers.

Post ur reply once tried. gud luck

KnightRider

Broken In
well, since u have installedlinus the boot loader has already changed to lilo.. the problem has occured in the boot of xp and also the ntdlr file. since u have installed 98 first try to log in dos pront and type fdisk/mbr and check the master boot record.
then run the windows xp cd to recover windows xp. and again load linux.. if this fails, then man u got to have lots of time to load all three os again all together!!!!!!!!!

OP
D

demha7

Thanks a lot, followed the instructions and was able to get back my XP. All i have to do now is to install linux boot loder. Please Help me do that. Will be thankful

swatkat

Technomancer
Try this:-
1] Change the first boot device in BIOS to CDROM drive.
2] Insert Linux CD into the drive, and choose Rescue mode option.
3]When the command prompt appears, type these commands, each followed by ENTER key:-
chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/hda
4] Reboot, and check whether GRUB is back or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom