Unable to open Drives in My Comp/Explorer by double clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i messed up wid some settings in the context menu of drives and now i can no longer open drives by double clicking them. the default option is "search". so it launches the search in a new window on double clicking a drive. the only two options are "search" and "command prompt here". i cant see the "open" option. tho it is present in the context menu of folders. i can open folders by double clicking them.

when i try to create a new item in the context menu for drives in "file types" it asks for a command. what should i give in so that when i double click on any drive in my computer it open the contents of the drive in the same window?

swatkat

Technomancer
Open My Computer.
Go to View Menu>Folder Options (Tools Menu for XP) , then click File Types Tab.

Here look for two entries:-
1]Folder
2]File Folder

Bot these should have default Opens With entry as [/b]Explorer.exe[/b]. If anyone doesnot have this, then click Edit and then click New.
Here type open in the Action box and then provide the path of [/b]Explorer.exe[/b] to the App used box.
After thsi click Ok, and then, Select open Actions box in main window and click Set Default to set Open using Explorer.exe as Default Action....

first do this, and if u expierence any probs, post here.....

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Aaa .. I had this problem when I changed the Default icons for Drives from File Types setting ..

I have the Registry Entries to bring it back but they are at home :( .. See if I could bring it tommorow ..

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
thanx....did as u told swatkat. but now when i double click on the drive it opens in a new window. i want it to open in the same window. how do i fix that?

swatkat

Technomancer
yeah..it opens in a new window... :)
do this...
Go to Folder Options..here Select the type Foler or File Folder (go to the one which u EDITED as per my above post)....

now, click Edit....

Then, select the "open" action u just added as per my above post, and click Remove, it asks for confirmation so click Yes, and then Exit from Folder Option by clicking OK....this should fix the problem.....

u should remove the Action entry created by u only....

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
well newaz thanx....before i cud do that i had to format ma windows partition. i had longhorn transform pack on ma windowsxp sp1. i attempted installing sp2 over it...it said cudn't install coz of a third party kernel....

tried uninstalling the transform pack....it cudn't remove some files (explorer.exe and stuff)...and it all messed up....had to format and reload everything....

thanx again

ps: dun install longhorn transform pack unless u r sure of a recovery all by urself

sagar_mutha

Broken In
Well,me too faced the same problem and now tis fixed thanks to swatkat
But my folders are still opening in a new window as the option for deleting any action in the file types tab are grayed out...What do i do now?

Ron

||uLtiMaTE WinNER||
Guys.....

I am also hving the sam problem............................

The context menu for drives are:

Command Prompt Here
Open
Find

***When I double click in the drive icon.........A OpenWith Dialog Box Appears.............
***And when I open the Drive.......by right click>Open....it open's in a new window................

The context menu for Folder are:

Explorer
Open
OpenWith

***When I double click the folder.it also opens in a new window.......

The context menu for File Folder in "file types" are:

Enquee in Winamp
Play In Winamp
Add to Winamp's Bookmark List
Command Prompt Here
Find
Open

HenceForth Pls Help Me.............
===================
swatkat said:
yeah..it opens in a new window... :)
do this...
Go to Folder Options..here Select the type Foler or File Folder (go to the one which u EDITED as per my above post)....

now, click Edit....

Then, select the "open" action u just added as per my above post, and click Remove, it asks for confirmation so click Yes, and then Exit from Folder Option by clicking OK....this should fix the problem.....

u should remove the Action entry created by u only....
The EDIT option is not highlighted.........Unable to select/click on that option..........

it_waaznt_me said:
Aaa .. I had this problem when I changed the Default icons for Drives from File Types setting ..

I have the Registry Entries to bring it back but they are at home :( .. See if I could bring it tommorow ..
Hey buddy could u plstry to post the registry enteries

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom