Unable to boot into PC. Fan keeps spinning and stopping in loop

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So finally it happened. My worst nightmare. After I came back from 4 day break, my PC fails to boot. I have described the problem before too.. And I will quote the same here:

Sometimes when I power on my PC, it seem to start, but display doesn't come. Upon opening the cabinet I can see that fan starts to rotate (both fans, heat sink and rear fan) and then they slowly stop spinning. Then again start to rotate and then again stops. This cycle continues until I do hard shutdown (that is powering off the UPS). Then when I remove the RAM, refit it and just shake of any dust from mother board (not thorough clean, I mean just little blow of air), the PC starts normally the next time. I faced this issue a few month back when I had a Intex UPS. I changed the UPS two weeks ago to Microtek one. But still I faced this issue few days back.

This issue is totally random. Sometimes I think issue is with motherboard, sometimes I think it's just moisture which is known to cause issues in monsoons. So no way to solve it, I guess.

For the record, following are specs of my PC:
Core i5 4570, MSI H87M-G43 Motherboard, Corsair CX430v2 power supply, WD Blue 1 TB HDD, 4 GB Gigabyte DDR3 RAM.

Today the same problem happened again. PC was not booting. Then when it booted, I was able to do tasks originally. But in the middle of browsing on Firefox, I experienced BSOD on Windows 10. After that PC just didn't boot even after many times.

I don't know what could be the problem. Tried to reset the Ram many times but no donut. Any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

here's the video of the fan spinning in loop
[video]*youtu.be/O4Q_EvgfCJk[/video]

maheshn

Journeyman
So finally it happened. My worst nightmare. After I came back from 4 day break, my PC fails to boot. I have described the problem before too.. And I will quote the same here:

Today the same problem happened again. PC was not booting. Then when it booted, I was able to do tasks originally. But in the middle of browsing on Firefox, I experienced BSOD on Windows 10. After that PC just didn't boot even after many times.

I don't know what could be the problem. Tried to reset the Ram many times but no donut. Any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Try testing with an alternative SMPS if available. One of the PC's in my home had the same issue and it turned out the SMPS had started getting flaky.

(Also, some of the lower end corsair power supplies have problems with some UPS supplies.)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

- - - Updated - - -

Post full pc config. The motherboard may be acting up. OR :

Disconnect and dismount the motherboard from cabinet. Test it by connecting PSU and other components.

faced similar issue and found out the start switch of the cabinet was faulty.

acepro71

Broken In
well first of all install a beeper / pc speaker Screenshot by Lightshot should be in ur motherboard box comes as accessories

it will tell u what is wrong with ur pc also it will tell u if everything is working fine or not when ever u boot it up

and after watching the vid *www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Q_EvgfCJk&feature=youtu.be

it seems clear to me its ur stock cooler its very dusty and probably alot of dust went into the fan motor and its not working anymore

so basically it starts and stop so pc gets the signal that cpu fan has failed and shuts the system down again

the only solution is take out the stock cooler clean it with a brush probably dying brush costs around 10 rs

and blow some air in the fan and run it and give it a little spins if that does not work just add a one drop of oil on fan

it should work if not buy a new fan but still i would suggest hooking the beeper / pc speaker on first as it would tell u exactly what the issue is

by no of beeps then u can refer to motherboard manual

if it does not beep something is dead can include ram , faulty psu voltages , cpu etc

pm me anytime if u need more help

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thanks all of you for help.

I am planning to clean my PC today thoroughly. I have been quite lazy since I bought my new PC and I regret I couldn't give it enough time to keep it clean.

I can also try an alternative SMPS. I can borrow it from my secondary PC.

I already posted the full config. Here is little more detail:
Processor: Intel 3.2 GHz LGA 1150 4570 i5 4th Gen
Mobo: MSI H87M-G43
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU
HDD: WD Blue 1 TB
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 4 GB X 1
Cabinet: Cooler Master E350N
Optical drive: Samsung DVD Combo
UPS: Microtek 600VA

About the PC speaker, this is a bit weird. I don't hear any beeps when I start my PC and when PC use to turn on successfully. I don't hear any beeps now when fans just go in a loop. Though, I DO hear small beeps when I remove the RAM. So I am confused whether mobo speaker is installed or not.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I had a similar issue, check the bios reset jumper and check if its connected correctly.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
At this point I am looking at same experience, not similar.
Anyway, this fan problem use to occur previously too but temporarily. Now it seems whatever problem is there have become permanent. How can bios reset jumper suddenly become detached?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
At this point I am looking at same experience, not similar.
Anyway, this fan problem use to occur previously too but temporarily. Now it seems whatever problem is there have become permanent. How can bios reset jumper suddenly become detached?
its just a hunch, my PC wouldnt start unless I opened the cabinet. it so happened that jumper was detached and when I opened the cabinet the wires wold move and push back the jumper and the PC would start

do you keep opening and closing the cabinet?

also my dad's pc had a issue when the fan would start and stop but wont boot or post. issue was in wall socket :mad:

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I do keep my cabinet open sometimes when I face this issue. Will think about Jumper later. For now... here's an update:

Little note: I have two PCs: Primary PC and Secondary PC:
Primary PC = Microtek UPS and 4 GB RAM (the one giving problem and being discussed in original post)
Secondary PC = Intex UPS and 2 GB RAM

So I unplugged the cables from the back of my Primary PC to get it cleaned. But before doing that decided to first check the PC by trying to replace parts from secondary PC. So here's what happened:

Attempt 1: Attached the PC to Intex UPS (the UPS of secondary PC)
Result: Fan didn't stop spinning this time, but there was no display.
Thought: Maybe, my new UPS (Microtek one) is at fault somewhere.

Attempt 2: While on the Intex UPS replaced the RAM with the 2 GB RAM of secondary PC
Result: PC booted successfully this time.
Thought: So looks like the RAM was at faulty.

Attempt 3: While on the Intex UPS, again attached the RAM of Primary PC.
Result: PC again stopped giving display.
Thought: It's definitely my RAM!

Attempt 4: Repeated Attempt 3 scenario: That is, Intex UPS and 2 GB RAM of secondary PC
Result: PC booted fine.
Thought: It's effing was fault of the RAM!

Attempt 5: This time used the Microtek UPS and with 2 GB RAM of secondary PC
Result: This time fan stopped spinning once, but then PC booted normally.
Thought: Looks like Microtek UPS is at fault somewhere.

Attempt 6: The Old Setup: Microtek UPS and the original 4 GB RAM
Result: PC booted successfully (did this test many times)
Thought: I am back at square one. Now the same UPS and RAM which were giving problem before have started to work again.

I am perplexed. :confused:

I didn't do the clean up, since PC seems to be working fine as of now. Will do it on weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Update 14-Aug-2015:
-------------------------
So I tried to turn PC on today, and it failed today too. I tried to swap the RAM with 2 GB RAM of secondary PC. It failed to boot yet again. I continued swapping until finally after 10 PC booted with the original RAM. :|
I don't know what the hell is wrong.

Will update after proper PC cleanup tomorrow.

Top Bottom