Ultimate Downloading Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

htnakirs

Journeyman
Ultimate Downloading Machine 2

OK it is an euphimism for a P3 powered laptop. But, it gets the job done.

Features (that matter) : Toshiba Satellite, P3 850MHz, 128 MB, 40 GB, CD Drive, LAN, USB, PS2, 14" screen, 45 min backup. Solidly built, no external deformations, all systems are functional.

Attractions : It has a BIOS startup timer that can be set to switch on the device at any specific time. IDEAL FOR THAT 2AM to 6AM unmetered data transfer window.
Being a P3 laptop, it will be greener than any underclocked modern PC. So you needn't worry about leaving the device ON 24X7X365.

Since there is no touchpad - only a trackpoint - a usb optical mouse is bundled in, thoughtfully.

How Much ? Bidding starts at 8.5K.

Pics : As soon as I get the battery compartment cover on my cam fixed. But, I feel this sale isn't about the device's looks.

Last edited:

sibot

I did it all for d n00ki3
sibot-
Dont you want to play far cry and Unreal Tournament while the video editing is going on?
I would love to play cyrsis.
Running those apps on this rig is as illogical and repulsive as using your present rig for 24x7 downloading.
I do understand illogical, but the repulsive part just blows over my head.That just made sh!t sense! Thank you for wasting my time! kthxbb

On a more serious note: This CAN be used to make a very strong firewall for your network if you don't want to install 98 on it and as the OP said, run it as a download rigg.

Last edited:
ROFL :lol:
@sidbot: do you read english ? :lol:

BTW, on 64mb RAM you can install a minimal linux distro without X. You can use apps like wget, aria2c for direct downloads in commandline and rTorrent for torrents from commandline. And I think you can have cron jobs for shutting down the PC a certain no. of hours after starting. Use either Virtual Consoles (like noobs like me) or Screen (like pros like mehulved) if you want to run multiple apps at the same time. To transfer data, you can use the CP or MV command after inserting a pendrive. But since the USB 1.0 speed is so slow, I recommend removing HDD and putting it into your normal rig to transfer files :D

popularbhaskar

Journeyman
How about having a netbook by spending a little more money instead of doing all circus to move the files up and down. A Asus basic netbook is available for 199$ on Newegg a couple of days before.
Moreover we dont need to dress like we just came outof pluto while using a laptop which was used by the great grand fathers.. And viola wat happens if some part in this dies one day. Its like looking for a those p3 motherboards in the market. :)
Guys.. Nothing to insult.. Certainly just trying to be clear. Cetainly we need to keep this all in mind...

rosemolr

Journeyman
This what you call an ultimate downloading machine..then what will you call a quadcore powered lapy..?:mrgreen:..man years have passed..p3..p2..all got grand grand grand grandpaaas..and you are also quoting it for 6k..Good Luck buddy..:razz:

OP
H

htnakirs

Journeyman
This what you call an ultimate downloading machine..then what will you call a quadcore powered lapy..?:

Overkill.
Seems the pampered youth of today have no sense of proportion. My dear Rose, a "download rig", which seems alien to you, is a system left ON most of the day connected to the net over an unlimited broadband connection. It doesn't need 4 cores to do what it does, nor does it need 1GB of RAM and a graphics card. What it should have is very low power consumption, and just enough juice to run the download client.
You do not use an LMG to exterminate a fly.

By the way: thread updated with different lap - Toshiba satellite - P3 850, 128 MB, 40 GB, 14" screen, and proper battery with 45 mins backup. UDM - 2.

sibot

I did it all for d n00ki3
But ofcourse there will be major network issues between the download rigg and the main comp.

I don't think you can network between Win98 and Vista/7. Don't think its possible.

popularbhaskar

Journeyman
woow.. thread updated guys with a sparkling new laptop. Dont you want to post a picture of the same. Your camera's battery compartment is still in the warehouse getting fixed huh..? Just out of curiosity where do you get these from?

-popularbhaskar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom