Ubuntu to Become a Rolling Release

Rahim

Married!
Mark Shuttleworth recently told reporters that Ubuntu will likely be moving from its current six-month release schedule to daily updates. A step of this nature would help Ubuntu keep up with the rapidly changing and increasing complex software and hardware landscape. This is especially true as Ubuntu finds itself on more mobile and smartphone devices.

Source

So whats your opinions guys about this sudden shift?
First, dumping GNOME for Unity, then XOrg Server for Wayland and now rolling release for Six-Month schedule.
Ubuntu is shaking the Tree.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
As an Arch fanboy, I say, Rolling Release = WIN :p

And BTW Gnome is NOT being dumped, it's just Gnome Shell that has been rejected and Unity project will be the Gnome's shell. Ubuntu _will_ continue to use Gnome.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
How about old versions...will update be stopped?

Rolling release will be disaster as major changes cant be made and there will be burden on update servers

OP
Rahim

Rahim

Married!
^Ubuntu makes good decisions most of the time and rest assure there may be merit the way Ubuntu is headed.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
How about old versions...will update be stopped?

Rolling release will be disaster as major changes cant be made and there will be burden on update servers
Er what? Major changes CAN'T be made? Sir you are mistaken.
As for older versions, they will be supported till their EOL i.e. 3 years for LTS releases and 1 and half for normal releases.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
While rolling release is good for users, it deprives the excitement that comes when a new version of OS is ready for release, the beta testing buzz etc etc. Also, the current bi yearly releases will let the devels have the opportunity of applying revolutionary concepts which would be very difficult with rolling release.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
^ I seriously doubt it will be truly RR. I think, the software bundled in Ubuntu is more likely to be RR based in order to encourage commercial software.

*ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10155883&postcount=37

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I love the concept of rolling releases.. sick of installing Fedora every six months.. although I prefer Fedora over Ubuntu.. Fedora should also go the rolling way :p

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
although I prefer Fedora over Ubuntu.. Fedora should also go the rolling way :p
Releases/Rawhide - FedoraProject

^ I seriously doubt it will be truly RR. I think, the software bundled in Ubuntu is more likely to be RR based in order to encourage commercial software.

Ubuntu Forums - View Single Post - Ubuntu to be a Rolling Release

As I said :p

Last edited:

lucifer_is_back

Journeyman
it is not

Open Source Report: Ubuntu sticking to six-month development cycle | Network World

Ubuntu is not changing to a rolling release. We are confident that our customers, partners, and the FLOSS ecosystem are well served by our current release cadence. What the article was probably referring to was the possibility of making it easier for developers to use cutting edge versions of certain software packages on Ubuntu. This is a wide-ranging project that we will continue to pursue through our normal planning processes.

abhijangda

Padawan
oopppsss!!!! what u did lucifer_is_back, u shouldn't have posted this news. Ubuntu users ki saari excitment khatam kardi yaar. :D
just joking!!!

It will be good if Ubuntu will go for rolling updates. But as said in earlier post, its not. Even then I think it will remain the most popular distro.
But I will stick to Fedora!!

Top Bottom