Ubuntu repository for Canon/Epson printers + How to increase the quality of printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

unni

In the zone
Hi friends,
[ (This is not my query. I just want to share this info with you guys).I had been trying to get my Canon Pixma IP1000 work in Mandriva for the past 5 months. Yesterday I came to know about this repository from this thread in Ubuntuforums. I just added the repository, installed the driver as mentioned in the repo site, and my printer was ready - took only 2 minutes. ]

I have some questions about changing the default driver configuration:

1. Since I don't use colour ink, how do I specify cups to do only B/W printing. I saw an option with 'RGB' as value in printer driver settings. But I can't change that.

2. Is there any management tool for Canon printers? What I am looking for is a way to send command to clean the printer, like the one available in Windows Canon driver?

3.This is the most important. Since my printer has a lot of wear and tear (possibly due to constant refilling), I can't get good printing unless the print quality is set to highest (In the Windows driver, there are atleast three options - highest, normal & fastest). But with this driver, I think the quality level is equivalent to the 'normal' option in Windows driver. Is there any way to change it? Is it related to the dpi? Mine is currently at 600 dpi. I can't change that value even as root.

eddie

El mooooo
CUPS comes with a very useful HTML interface. I do not know if Ubuntu supports it or not but you can try going to
*localhost:631/admin

Once there, click on "Manage Printers" and then on "Set Printer Options". The next page is self explanatory and gives you various options to control your print quality and paper type/size etc.

I would also recommend going to OpenPrinting and searching for your particular printer which will give you some vital information as to how to get it working in best possible way with appropriate drivers.
*www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

In the end, just a friendly advice. For your future purchases, prefer a printer manufacturer that cooperates with Linux/OSS people as that will provide you with best driver support. One name that comes to mind is HP ;)

OP
unni

unni

In the zone
Re: Ubuntu repository for Canon/Epson printers + How to increase the quality of print

eddie said:
CUPS comes with a very useful HTML interface. I do not know if Ubuntu supports it or not but you can try going to
*localhost:631/admin

I would also recommend going to OpenPrinting and searching for your particular printer which will give you some vital information as to how to get it working in best possible way with appropriate drivers.
*www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

In the end, just a friendly advice. For your future purchases, prefer a printer manufacturer that cooperates with Linux/OSS people as that will provide you with best driver support. One name that comes to mind is HP ;)
I had tried the CUPS admin link in Ubuntu. But, the settings (colour output & 600 dpi resolution) seems to be part of the driver. I can't change from the admin link even as root. I didn't get time to go through the OpenPrinting link today. I will go through it tomorrow and will come back either with a solution or with more questions:p. I have decided that my next scanner purchase will be from HP. But this driver is actually provided by Canon. So, we can't blame them much, I suppose.

I think I need to edit the ppd file for changing settings, am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom