UBUNTU on Android phone ???

Assassin

I killed my phone, Again!
Well... I am not going to tell you "How ?" in fact I want to ask the same. Once I had a glance on an article in which they were illustrating to install and run UBUNTU on an Android phone, I never read it neither I remember the name of magazine ( It was either Digit or Chip ), I just know that it is possible but dont know How ???
Can anybody share this TUT with us here ? Or at least know the name and issue of magazine please share..

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
home of ubuntdroid

[ROM] Ubuntdroid 4.2 - Android Forums

LG Optimus One - Firmwares, Mods and Tweaks: [ROM] Ubuntdroid RC2-Optimus T (Sharing this in case you have LG Optimus One :p)

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Is that really possible?! I thought it was a joke when I saw the thread title. Can we run desktop apps like Firefox and thunderbird on it? Wouldn't it turn a tablet like galaxy into a full fledged PC?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
apps won't run on all mobiles. most entrylevel Android mobiles use ARM v6 core in their SOC whereas to run the heavy new apps, ARM v7 is required.

puneet87

Broken In
May be possible since Android is also a Linux based OS. But I don't see any point in it because Ubuntu is designed for Desktop and Android for Smartphones. For using any other distro on any Android based phone, you will have to do much more than little tinkering. For e.g. stripping down kernel and applications and compile them for the specific hardware on the device. Trying to install a regular desktop OS on the phone, you may end up with a sluggish interface and operation that may not worth the effort.
Also I doubt android market would work then.

Top Bottom