ubuntu not booting up

curioustechy

Journeyman
I've been using ubuntu 11.10 with both kde and gnome desktop environments and was trying to install (not physical) one of my old pci dialup modems to enable me to fax from my computer without a dedicated fax machine...( *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/open-source/170112-how-install-internal-dial-up-modem-ubuntu-11-10-a.html ). i think i tinkered somewhere and now i'm unable to boot into ubuntu.... my system runs both ubuntu and win7... grub is the os choosing handler.... win7 works fine... when chose ubuntu at the os selection option screen, it just displays a blank screen....
what has gone wrong ... i'd a lot of apps installed and don't wish to install ubuntu a fresh

Flake

Linux User
Press Alt+Ctrl+F3 at blank screen. Does it switch to tty3? If yes, login there and execute startx command. Post error message here, if any.

Flake

Linux User
Does Ubuntu boot up at all? Highlight Ubuntu option in GRUB Menu and press e. Select kernel line and remove quiet option and boot up.

OP
curioustechy

curioustechy

Journeyman
edit screen.jpgThis is my screen after pressing e button (attached). I just removed 'quiet' from the penultimate line & pressed F10. Its still the blank screen there

Last edited:

Flake

Linux User
Boot up from LiveCD/USB of any Linux distro and post the output of fdisk -l command here.

OP
curioustechy

curioustechy

Journeyman
Sorry guys... I was so busy with my official works that I couldn't tinker with that any more & so installed a fresh Linux distro - ubuntu 12.04.. Thanks for all :)

Top Bottom