Ubuntu-My new primary OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Songbird is good too, infact get the recent release. It's awesome.
Previously I was using Rhythmbox.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Hi I also use Ubuntu 8.10 as my primary OS ..my probs

1. I installed Ofiice 2007 through wine..Now my CV (word 2003) formatting is not correctly showing in MS Word 2007 .What to do now ?

2. I installed themes from gnomelook.org But it says theme GTK+ Theme smooth is not installed :confused: How to do that ?? Also how to make Ubuntu look ...like XP ?

3. My lappu has 14" screen ...and Ubuntu icons are very big consuming lot of space on desktop...resolution is max 1200*800..How to make icons smaller ?

Thanks !
1) Absolutely no idea regarding MS products and WINE compatibility.

2) How did you install them? You can simply drag and drop the theme archieves (.tar.gz etc.) into the System > Preferences > Appearances > Appearances tab and it should automatically install. If it still says that its not installed then extract the archive into ~/.themes folder (~/ is your /home/<username> folder). So that the folder hierarchy is now /home/<username>/.themes/<theme folder>/gtk-2.0. It should now appear in the Appearances > Customize window for you to select/apply.

3) Right click on the desktop icon and choose the resize option. Resize them from any corner. However, it depends a lot on the icon theme. If that doesn't allow smaller icons then you are out of luck. You either haf to live like this or choose another icon theme.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Maybe.. maybe not. I'm not sure. If he's missing a theme engine then the error should be regarding the theme engine and not the theme itself.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Link me the Smooth theme you are trying to install from gnome-look, there are lots of it named that there.

And here is a little script utility to install theme and icons. Extract the folder in this into /home/<username>/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/ .Then you will have a new option called Scripts in the right-click menu. To install theme and icons, right-click on the respective archives(tar.gz/tar.bz2) and go to Scripts>Utils> and install.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Thanks all..but it happened again ..I drag n drop Raptor theme to Themes tab and I got this message

"This theme will not look as intended because the required GTK+ theme 'Raptor' is not installed ' :(

I dloaded this theme ....*www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Raptor+(Slickness+remix)?content=86048

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
-DO-

sudo apt-get install pixbuf OR gtk-engine-pixbuf OR search for pixbuf in your package manager and install it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom