ubuntu linux - no display

Status
Not open for further replies.

adit_sen

In the zone
im running a intel celeron M 360 with 256mb of ram. i tried running the live cd of ubuntu linux, but when the x-server starts up i get no display!! even after i installed ubuntu on my system, the x-server does not show up. pls help...

ujjwal

Padawan
Try running sudo xorgconfig (give your password), and then enter the details of your display hardware.

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
hmm... better still, just type
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xorg-xserver <enter>

Try tweaking till u get it right ;)

Prav.

PS: I think the command given by Ujjwal is the same :|

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
but once the x-server attempts to start off...i just get a blank screen....i cannot return to the terminal, so how can i configure my display??

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
try Ctrl+Alt+F2 to get a new window in terminal and try the same...

PS: If Ctrl+Alt+F2 does not open a new one, try Ctrl+Shift+F2 :p

Hope it works,
Prav

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
or try ubuntu 5.04.Ubuntu 4.10 was not able to configure my display either .ubuntu 5.04 configures it .

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
thanx for all your replies.
unfortunately i am still stuck. i tried the xserver-xorg config, tried alterations of all possibe settings, but the xserver just wont show up. and @vignesh, i am using ver 5.04.

pls help

ravemz

Broken In
boot with a live cd.
copy the XFree86-4 config file from /etc/X11
to a windows directory.

boot from ur normal installation and replace the config file and then restart ur display manager

i hope it helps

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Even for me ubuntu 4.10 did not get into gui the mode.I tried copying the xf86config file from ubuntu 4.10 live cd and also renaming the ubuntu 5.10 live cd`s xorg.conf as x86config and tried startx.But still not display.I get an error saying no screens found.I also tried the xf86config.nothing works.

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
my graphics card is intel extreme mobile graphics 2.

@vignesh..cant b a problem with the live cd cuz i have 20 cds of ubuntu....no luck thr...

@ravemz...i didnt get wat u said. how do i replace the file from windows?

ravemz

Broken In
adit_sen said:
@ravemz...i didnt get wat u said. how do i replace the file from windows?

Hi adit,
First get hold of a live-cd ( like knoppix etc) and if its ubuntu-live cd its all the more better.

Now u are not able to see ur desktop in ubuntu coz either ur graphics card drivers are misconfigured or ur mouse.

So boot from the live cd, u'll definitely get the display and the mouse running. Copy the configuration file from there and use it to start ur original ubuntu installation.

Now answer to the question how to copy the configuration.

All u have to do is after booting with the live-cd, copy /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to a location from where u can copy back when u are in ur original installation.

U can copy it to a floppee or a usb flash drive . or to some ftp . or to ur windows mounted partitions . it depends on u . from where u can get it easily.

So now shutdown the live-cd and boot into ur ubuntu.

get the above config file and copy it into /etc/X11 folder.

now restart ur display manager.
$ /etc/init.d/gdm restart

Ur display will be up . but if get problems with ur mouse . write back again . will give a solution for that. but only if necessary.

happy config.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom