1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

Ubuntu KDE nit working

Discussion in 'Software Q&A' started by mvishnu, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvishnu

mvishnu New Member

Hi,

i got the buntu cds shipped for free, but the kde does not initialise... What can i do?

Linux is useless without kde

2. praka123

praka123 left this forum longback

Use GNOME the real DE for *NIX like Operating Systems.GNOME is a true communty project.KDE is a rip from windows os for weak hearted windows users shifting to Linux.if u r to stick with Linux,use GNOME or any window managers except what?---KDE.if u r gonna use Linux then start leaving comparison of windows os with Linux eh? :x

3. desertwind

desertwind New Member

prakash don't scare him. It's ok to use KDE, the most important fact is he has a choice.

@mvishnu: Ubuntu does not ship KDE by default, but you can install it anytime. Use Synaptic for that.

And linux is not useless without KDE. Millions of people are using gnu/linux without KDE. You can try a variety of DE's and WM's as said by prakash

4. OP
    OP
    mvishnu

mvishnu New Member

Haha!!

thanks, prakash, and desertwind...

What i meant was just that.. I am a weakhearted windows user. I had red hat linux in the beginning, and i was really happy with it.But my hdd crashed and my computer was rendered useless. now i am using my father's laptop, where i cant install anything because it's given to my father by the univerity of MAHE, so i dont hav the right to meddle with it.

The problem is not that. I am so illiterate that i think i confused kde and something else...

What i meant was that that program, initiated by typing "startx" was not working.. (is it not called the X windows system?") It 's not working only on my laptop.. it works fine and loads the windows envi on my friend's comp... (mind you, i was using the LIVE CD, becos i couldnt install it) my friend was using live cd too, but he got the x windows, and mine supposedly "FAILED TO INITIATE DISPLAY"

my guess (which need not be correct) is that this has to do something with my grafix card (ATI X300).

Pls help me.... I correct my above statement to "Linux is useless to me without x windows system

5. OP
    OP
    mvishnu

mvishnu New Member

i also wanted to ask something else

is the no equivalent for "installshield" in linux?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.