Ubuntu KDE nit working

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvishnu

Broken In
Hi,

i got the buntu cds shipped for free, but the kde does not initialise... What can i do?

Linux is useless without kde

praka123

left this forum longback
Use GNOME the real DE for *NIX like Operating Systems.GNOME is a true communty project.KDE is a rip from windows os for weak hearted windows users shifting to Linux.if u r to stick with Linux,use GNOME or any window managers except what?---KDE.if u r gonna use Linux then start leaving comparison of windows os with Linux eh? :x

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
prakash don't scare him. It's ok to use KDE, the most important fact is he has a choice.

@mvishnu: Ubuntu does not ship KDE by default, but you can install it anytime. Use Synaptic for that.

And linux is not useless without KDE. Millions of people are using gnu/linux without KDE. You can try a variety of DE's and WM's as said by prakash

OP
M

mvishnu

Broken In
Haha!!

thanks, prakash, and desertwind...

What i meant was just that.. I am a weakhearted windows user. I had red hat linux in the beginning, and i was really happy with it.But my hdd crashed and my computer was rendered useless. now i am using my father's laptop, where i cant install anything because it's given to my father by the univerity of MAHE, so i dont hav the right to meddle with it.

The problem is not that. I am so illiterate that i think i confused kde and something else...

What i meant was that that program, initiated by typing "startx" was not working.. (is it not called the X windows system?") It 's not working only on my laptop.. it works fine and loads the windows envi on my friend's comp... (mind you, i was using the LIVE CD, becos i couldnt install it) my friend was using live cd too, but he got the x windows, and mine supposedly "FAILED TO INITIATE DISPLAY"

my guess (which need not be correct) is that this has to do something with my grafix card (ATI X300).

Pls help me.... I correct my above statement to "Linux is useless to me without x windows system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom