Ubuntu 8.10 a.k.a. Intrepid Ibex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*www.imgx.org/pfiles/5345/UbuntuStudio_02_Philbo.jpgNone other than the father of Ubuntu Linux, Mark Shuttleworth, announced last night the name and the goals for the next version of this marvelous operating system, Ubuntu 8.10 (codename Intrepid Ibex); scheduled for release in October 2008:
"With Hardy now past feature-freeze it's time to start to plan features that are being lined up for inclusion after Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is released in April. And so I'd like to introduce you to the Intrepid Ibex, the release which is planned for October 2008, and which is likely to have the version number 8.10."

For the Intrepid Ibex, the development team will prepare an unbelievable desktop, with an amazing performance, that will work on mostly any computer (be it a high-end workstation or an old and dusty Pentium III machine). Another major feature planned for Ubuntu 8.10 will be the ability to stay connected to the Internet (read: wireless connections) wherever you go:
"We want you to be able to move from the office, to the train, and home, staying connected all the way." - said Mark Shuttleworth.

OK, OK.... so what's this so-called Ibex, you may wonder? Well, according to Wikipedia, Ibex is a type of wild mountain goat with large recurved horns (see the article's photo) that are transversely ridged in front. Ibex are found in Eurasia, North Africa, and East Africa. Ranging in height from 27 to 43 inches and weighing 200 to 270 pounds (90 to 120 kg), the ibex can live 20 years.

Ubuntu 8.10, or should I say "The Ibex", will be the ninth release and the fourth anniversary of the first release, 4.10 (if anyone still remembers it). But until then, we have another version that should capture our attention and invade our computers, Ubuntu 8.04 (a.k.a. Hardy Heron), which will be available on April 24th, 2008.

Announcement : Ubuntu List

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Yeah I also want a black coloured one for Intrepid Ibex. Wish it to be a translucent and glossy one. :D :D

black is also ugly. I prefer a dark brown woody look for the gnome bars, and a greenish rather leafy look for the rest of the GUI. they can thus shift their focus from Humans to Nature. And trust me, nature will look much better if implemented well.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
"We want you to be able to move from the office, to the train, and home, staying connected all the way." - said Mark Shuttleworth.

I hope this comes true. Increased functionality and performance is what I'm looking for . If it somes true I'll be VERY happy :)

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
No offences but I personally think the woody look is just fine... and may it come with better HardWare support Out of the Box...

gauravsuneja

macaddict
will teh est relase will be named
justified juggernaut

think of other names too
drugy derek
edgy eft
fiesty fawn
gusty gibbon
hardy harron
intrepid ibex

anorexic adam