Ubuntu 7.04 how to .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
I wish to know the following from the Ubuntu Expert member.
1. After successful installation what is the next to do. As in windows we have to install mobo drivers grafics/audio printer scanner drivers etc.

2. How to install additional linux software from Digit cd?dvd.

3. How to understand which package is important and to install from synaptic pacakge manager.

4. How to access Linux drives through Windows OS.

5. When Booting in Ubuntu in the login screen there is a option of choice, Which option is normal option like in windows "normally starts windows"

I have more to know from the forum member.

Last edited:

faraaz

Evil Genius
@skghosh: Play around with your system a little bit and get comfortable. Ubuntu installs all the system drivers by default, except video card drivers...and those too if open source alternative is available.

If you need any software, make a list, like:

Music Player
Video Player
C++ IDE
Compositing Manager

etc etc...

Then check what you already have and install the rest. As for preferences of applications etc through Synaptic, I can't tell you what you are supposed to want. Just go about it the same way you would in Windows. Identify the need for a program, find the program and install..

PS:Forgot to add, if you are using Ubuntu 7.04, you will need to install codecs which let you watch DivX movies, play MP3s etc...to do this, search in synaptic for GStreamer plugins and install...

For a more comprehensive guide check out this link:
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=413626

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Windows cannot show the linux drives by default (Billy hates Linus :D). You need to install a third party software like ex2ifs or explore2fs.

But these softs only allow you to access ext2 partitions and not ext3 or xfs and other types which linux supports. But if you default installed ubuntu then it should have used ext2 only.

Q5: Ubuntu gives you 3-4 options + 1 option of windows(If you have only 1 windo installed). The first one is the "start ubuntu normally" option.

OP
skghosh44

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
In the login screen there is a menu where we can select session, which session is the normal session.
Last session (selected by default)
1. Run Xclient script
2. GNOME
Falesafe GNOME
Falesafe Terminal
Last 2 option slightly i understand it like Windows SAFE MODE AND COMMAND PROMPT.
But Ist No.1 and 2 I dont understand.
Any dude clear it please.

Last edited:

vish786

"The Gentleman"
skghosh44 said:
In the login screen there is a session icon, when I click the session icon there is option
1. Last session
2. xclient run
3. GNOME
4. Xclient (something like)
5. I forgotton

choose GNOME or KDE.

faraaz

Evil Genius
Uhh...Gnome and KDE are desktop environments...now how to explain this...its kinda like the GUI interface which runs on TOP of the X.org server and does all the running around...you know...copy-pasting, running programs etc. KDE uses the QT backend and Gnome uses the GTK backend.

Gnome is more user friendly, KDE is more Windows-ish...

Both are solid desktop environments, but Ubuntu tends to work better with Gnome, in my experience, since that is the DE installed by default.

Uh...I'm not that much of an expert, so some of the technical details can be wrong, but the gist is that only.

Choose one of the two, based on which one you want to use.

And yeah, make sure you install Compiz Fusion...harness the true power of sweet eyecandy...

cynosure

UbuntuUser
As other people said. Choose option 2: GNOME.

Earlier I thought you were asking about the GRUB menu :p

OP
skghosh44

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
Thanks a lot for reply. I have a Epson Stylus Inject printer c79. I wish to install the printer in Ubuntu. When I click add printer and select printer, there is C79 model is not available. I also searched the web but there is also linux driver is not available. Some where in the web I saw TARBO PRINTER. But it is not free driver. I also checked Epsons web page there is also driver for Linux is not available. Now how I install the printer.

faraaz

Evil Genius
Tough luck man...usually the open source drivers are there for major models, like my HP Officejet 4355...but the scanner doesn't work in that with the open source drivers, so I still have to run Windows if I want to scan anything.

This is a major issue with Linux...printer manufacturers don't usually give much preference to Linux users.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
skghosh44 said:
Thanks a lot for reply. I have a Epson Stylus Inject printer c79. I wish to install the printer in Ubuntu. When I click add printer and select printer, there is C79 model is not available. I also searched the web but there is also linux driver is not available. Some where in the web I saw TARBO PRINTER. But it is not free driver. I also checked Epsons web page there is also driver for Linux is not available. Now how I install the printer.
first search properly on net...

here r dirvers for ur printer C79..

*openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

here click on printer menu or drivers menu....

or

*www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_ink.html

click on inkjet printer ur model is listed their.

faraaz said:
Tough luck man...usually the open source drivers are there for major models, like my HP Officejet 4355...but the scanner doesn't work in that with the open source drivers, so I still have to run Windows if I want to scan anything.

This is a major issue with Linux...printer manufacturers don't usually give much preference to Linux users.
they do give preference for linux printer drivers,

openprinting is a dedicated site for linux printer drivers only... their was one more site, but i have forgot.... u too can search if u find ur model drivers in those sites.

Happy linux Printing and scanning !!! ;)

Last edited:
OP
skghosh44

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
vish786
"The Gentleman"
I did not find any driver for my printer in the link provided by you.
However the name of the printer is there in printer section. But in the driver section there is no printer driver for c79.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
skghosh44 said:
vish786
"The Gentleman"
However the name of the printer is there in printer section. But in the driver section there is no printer driver for c79.
wat re do u except us to do spoon feedin....

this is the site and then choose " x86 32 bit " option... then a dialog box will appear to download the file.

*openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_C79

Last edited:

cynosure

UbuntuUser
There is a utility called "ndiswrapper". It installs the windows drivers of hardware on the linux box.
visit *ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/ and download and install the software.
Then read the documentation provided on the site and install the driver.

PS:: Ndiswrapper officially supports wireless network cards but I have used it to install my LAN card in ubuntu and my usb modem in zenwalk. So try it, if luck smiles on you then there is a chance that your printer will work too.

OP
skghosh44

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
vish786

Thanks for the link. Dont mind please, as a windows user, I know nothing about Linux, just I am trying to learn. Now I have to experiment how to install the driver to start the printer. Even I dont know how I install the downloaded file, lets try me, If I cant again I will seek help from forum end.

Some how I manage to install the downloaded file. But whenever I try to install the printer, a pop-up apears which search reads the driver file and never resposd. At last I have to force quit the popup. whats wrongs going on I cant understand.

I shall be glad if anybody guide me how to paste screenshot the forum thread.

Last edited:

faraaz

Evil Genius
Go to photobucket.com, make an account, take a screenshot (you know how to do that atleast right?), upload it on that website, take the URL of the pic the site gives you and paste that here.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
skghosh44 said:
vish786
"The Gentleman"

first try this in your comp. open terminal
type " sudo apt-cache install escputil mtink mtink-doc "
and then keep pressing "yes" i will download all the files and other files which r required for makin printer work. After downloadin it will install itself.
then see if ur printer if working now or not.
if printer is still not working, then try below method. :)

there r two sites which i mentioned where u can find ur printer drivers... download drivers from both the sites, so if one is not working u can download the other driver.
since ur not able to download the right drivers... follow this steps for downloadin drivers for ur current Distro/OS

goto this site,

*www.avasys.jp/english/linux_e/dl_ink.html

then click on Inkjet on the left side, click on ur printer model, at bottom choose the Distro and the version for which ur downloadin the printer, choose country, next for
Connection environment for using printer = print with local printer.
Location of product = Individuals(document)

submit this and u will b directed to donwload the drivers. ( download all the 3 files... tgz, rpm along with the instruction manual. :)
*images6.theimagehosting.com/untitled01.796.th.JPG
*images6.theimagehosting.com/untitled02.171.th.JPG
*images6.theimagehosting.com/untitled03.c83.th.JPG

other wise if this drivers r not working then goto other site.

*openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_C79
and click on x86 32 bit, download the driver....

and follow the instruction given in " How to Install ".
*images6.theimagehosting.com/untitled01.7ec.th.JPG

Follow each step mentioned in both the manuals properly... i Hope then ur printer will work fine. :)

and regarding uploading screenshot, u can do tat on
imagehosting.com or theimagehosting.com,or some other site u wish.... their is no need to register for it.

Last edited:
OP
skghosh44

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
vish 786

1. I have applied your below method yestarday
the other wise if this drivers r not working then goto other site.
*openprinting.org/show_printer...son-Stylus_C79
and click on x86 32 bit, download the driver....
other method I have to try. later I will post you the result.

2. Another problem arises in my ubuntu os as under:

From yesterday there is no sound in My Ubuntu OS. There is no Startup sound as well as no sound in songs/movies etc. while playing. But the sound system is fine in Win Xp OS.
Yesterday I tried to install 1."ndiswrapper-1.47.tar.gz" 2."Bluetoot device" 3."gutenprint-5.0.1-1lsb3.11486.rpm". The pakages were installed with some error msg. I think the sound problem arises after those installation.
But the question is now how I rectify the sound problem.
I have tried the second method, but Ubuntu Distro is not there.

Last edited:

faraaz

Evil Genius
Go to System> Preferences and check the sound menu. Most probly wrong driver is selected in there. If its set to OSS change to ALSA, if ALSA, change to OSS and see if that makes any changes.

I removed Ubuntu from my system (in favor of Sabayon 3.4) so I can't be more accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom