Ubisoft to buy Indian game developing Co

Status
Not open for further replies.

slugger

Banned
Ubisoft to buy Gameloft development studio in India

PARIS (Thomson Financial) - Video games maker Ubisoft Entertainment SA said it has agreed to acquire Gameloft's development studio in Pune, India.
The value of the transaction was not disclosed.
The studio has 120 game developers and testers. Ubisoft said the aim is to expand it to 200 developers in the next 12 months and 500 within a few years.
Source

Looks like a stamp of approval that says "Indian game developers have finally arrived"

when will we have an Indian equivalent of ID or EA :rolleyes:

(and no, not talkin about outsourced jobs from these Cos)

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^There you go, now people will start making companies that provide "services" to international game dev companies.

We've got so many so called "software engineers" but not even one major product to speak of.

Please chinese, take over the s/w services market, then may be indian companies will focus on making software.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^^
actually software engineer is a fancy name :p we have a lot of coders and very less of programmers :p

sometimes even good programmers turning into/forced to be coders

nowadays there are a few product startups like zoho.com, slideshare.net etc we need more of them

_

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
i guess you start off with providing services and then move higher up the food chain by becoming an origianl content devp

In india, except for Patni and TCS, almost all big-small Co that started were set up only in the early 90s with Co like Infy started in the 80s

being a service provider could be a stepping stone and then with time move on to the real thing with the exp and expertise u gained

although by now Patni and TCS should have turned into developers of sum major commercially available sw

v got qucikheal (crappy AV but popular), even CDAC develops good commercially sws, but mostly restriced to Indian language related

they even have a Linux distro - Bharat Operating System Solutions

slowly but surely we should/will move up the chain

OP
slugger

slugger

Banned
thanks @cool_techie_tvm
C-DAC actually has some really cool people working with it (i kinda know).

its just that they dont have the mandate to do out-and-out commercial work - more towards doing India-specific and social/regional use of computer kind of work

if it was allowed, who knows, maybe they could have come up with an OS having the Stability of Unix (works on Debian, so sort of achieved), visual appeal of a Mac OS and popularity of Windows......all for Free!!!! :)

jithin.rao

Broken In
Ahha, I see a thread a bit old but about the company I work for [:p]. To the people who wants to know about what's happening in Ubisoft India, we are not JUST-ANOTHER-OUTSOURCER, we make in-house games from the scratch, more news here, read it for yourself [:)]. Link.

jithin.rao

Broken In
"Who I claim to be?" Come on Dude! Why should I fake over that?

Insights of Ubisoft, what we are comfortable to expose has been told to DIGIT Reporter, Sriram, when he came down to meet us here. Well, we have our own NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement, if someone is not aware), so its not possible to disclose anything and everything. It was Sriram who had told me that I should be a part of the growing community in the Digit Forums.

Insights is not something I can claim about but my studio head has his piece of exposure in the news article, I think I need to stick to that [:p]. We can talk about what has come, lets keep what will or can come till the time comes [:D]!

May be we can share knowledge with the people out here, as Sriram suggested, provided its not on something that's directly or in-directly related to Ubisoft's Internal stuffs.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
"Who I claim to be?" Come on Dude! Why should I fake over that?
see, its NEt and the basic rule I follow is believe none, so I asked, don't take personally, I guess u would understand what I mean to say...

Insights of Ubisoft, what we are comfortable to expose has been told to DIGIT Reporter, Sriram, when he came down to meet us here. Well, we have our own NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement, if someone is not aware), so its not possible to disclose anything and everything. It was Sriram who had told me that I should be a part of the growing community in the Digit Forums.

Insights is not something I can claim about but my studio head has his piece of exposure in the news article, I think I need to stick to that [:p]. We can talk about what has come, lets keep what will or can come till the time comes [:D]!

May be we can share knowledge with the people out here, as Sriram suggested, provided its not on something that's directly or in-directly related to Ubisoft's Internal stuffs.
Again thanx for this too.

I would like to suggest you one thing,
1.Create one thread in our Education section
2. Write about gaming as a career.
3. What all(one) thing(s) one should know or be skilled of to be a part of gaming industry (u know everyone at any point of time in his/her life wanted to be a game developer...so, anything from u would be helpful for them)
4. What kind of roles include a game developing (at least what can imagine: a story (script and screenplay), animation(animator, basic level character drawing etc), coders, testers, sales guys etc...)

Thanx... :)

jithin.rao

Broken In
see, its NEt and the basic rule I follow is believe none, so I asked, don't take personally, I guess u would understand what I mean to say...
I perfectly understand.

I would like to suggest you one thing,
1.Create one thread in our Education section
2. Write about gaming as a career.
3. What all(one) thing(s) one should know or be skilled of to be a part of gaming industry (u know everyone at any point of time in his/her life wanted to be a game developer...so, anything from u would be helpful for them)
4. What kind of roles include a game developing (at least what can imagine: a story (script and screenplay), animation(animator, basic level character drawing etc), coders, testers, sales guys etc...)
It's a question that everyone, mostly gamers, have in mind that game development is a lot of fun and hence its easy to crack. But the fact is its the toughest to crack, unless you have the true passion. Finishing a lot of games doesn't mean he/she can be a game developer, he/she is just a gamer, to be a part of the development team there is a lot of hard ships revolving around.

I would like the help of the community in that aspect, me starting from one point and moving ahead doesn't make sense unless the community understand its. I would suggest is to put up what the community knows till date and from there I can start to clear out the things that I know, of course I am also learning and I am NO veteran. Game Development is another BIG Ocean, the streams that you mentioned as just branches and I am not sure whether I would be able explain to you everything in detail but a small glimpses and may be references. But that's the first learning lessons of game development, "Nothing is spoon fed, everything gets answered when the questions are specific".

Here's one link which has most the answers that the community has :
LINK, re-inventing the wheel is not preferred for game development, neither do I, so feel free to start a thread on any of the parts that's there on the links and I will try my level best to follow on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom