UAC Prompts disable Aero when they display

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Guys i have a nVidia Geforce 7050 PV / nForce 630a onboard graphics card on my MoBo. I got this machine just 2 weeks back.

This machine is my first taste of the Aero interface. So when i was checking some articles on WinSupersite today, i saw some screenshots which displayed the UAC Promts in the Aero UI itself. This is when i came to realise a major problem i have been facing on this machine.

Whenever there is an UAC promt, my monitor blacks out for a second or two and then the display comes backonline and the UAC prompts display in the Non-Aero (the ugly blue) window. On accepting or cancelling the promt, the monitor again blacks out for a second beforing coming back online.

This is really bugging me, as you can imagine, every UAC promts unnecessarily takes up my 5 6 seconds, which are not usually required.

Here is how it should be -

*www.winsupersite.com/images/showcase/winvista_ff_uac_04.jpg

So instead of the transparent window border, i get the ugly Non-Aero, Not the standard theme, but the ugly blue theme which you get on systems which do not support Aero.

How can i correct this problem?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
This is not a problem, its is a feature, as when UAC promts for action, the system goes on to secure desktop mode thus forcing the Aero to be disable temp....

Certainly you may get rid off it...

But before you do so, please note, u are cutting down a security feature of the System... which may allow Spyware or any other bot to take control of UAC :cry:

If you are a Windows Vista ultimate or business user then follow this (u must be an admin user of the system),

Go to Start and type, Security in search box to locate and launch Local Security Policy...

*img178.imageshack.us/img178/8409/15998902dw2.jpg

use the left navigation to click Local Policy >>>> Next to Security Options...

*img247.imageshack.us/img247/9585/73011042ns3.jpg

Now at the left work panel, scroll download to second last option (on default installation of Vista) which says "User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation" double click in... :)

*img152.imageshack.us/img152/5876/77375848vr8.jpg

Now you may disable the feature for looks if you want...

*img180.imageshack.us/img180/9862/31760747kl3.jpg

but as per me, the feature should be enable for maximum security :lol:

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
@Choto
Thanks man! I was getting very bugged because of that. Even if i disable the secure desktop, UAC would still be a barrier before the applications starting in Administrative privilige right?

And a special thanks for such an excellant guide to do it! With screens, man am impressed.

@kalpik
UAC is not perfect, but a very nice feature.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
alsiladka said:
Even if i disable the secure desktop, UAC would still be a barrier before the applications starting in Administrative privilige right?

UAC would be there :) but it wont put the system on secure desktop when asking for action :)

but as Kalpik says, there is option for one to disable the UAC completelly :( refer here, Disable the UAC Under Windows Vista but unless him, I would say let the UAC be there :lol:

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
I know how to disable it, i had done it in some of the previous installations. Must say, that between Disabled UAC and UAC enabled system, i feel secure in the UAC environment.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Not to start a fight and all.. But how exactly do you "feel" secure with UAC enabled? Cause it bugs you every time you move your mouse? Heh..

Ohk.. Nevermind :p

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
^^ Not to start a fight and all.. But how exactly do you "feel" secure with UAC enabled? Cause it bugs you every time you move your mouse? Heh..

Ohk.. Nevermind :p

Let me give myself a chance to explain what i meant.

UAC pops up when you try to delete a shortcut from the "All Users" Start Menu, but it does not do so if all you want to do is delete a shortcut from your own (the User's) start menu.

This is just one example of UAC's idea that only an Administrator is allowed to make changes which have system wide effect or effect all the users.

If you want to edit the registry or merge any registry file, you need to have the administrator privileges.

Software installations require Admin privileges. Software uninstallation requires Admin privileges.

These are all instances which we all have whined on when they were done by some of our family members in XP!

I agree it is short of perfectness, but its pros are much better than the cons.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I have also written a small guide about UAC and its various options. Interesting ppl can take a look at it:

A Complete Guide for Tweaking User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Although i agree that Secure Desktop is much better, as without the secure desktop, the UAC prompt just looks like another prompt, nothing special; I believe they could have made the Non Secure Desktop UAC much better. Even not structurally, they could have emulated the secure desktop visually. Even if the UAC prompt would have appeared on a blacked out screen (without the "out of reach of malwares" protection), it would have been much secure.

MVPs, if you could pass on this message to MS, it would be beneficial.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
I believe they could have made the Non Secure Desktop UAC much better. Even not structurally, they could have emulated the secure desktop visually.

fundamentally not possible...

allowing UAC to run under same desktop means if any spyware or Bot present on your system could access the UAC to autorise an action by them self...

for security purpose, UAC is meant to run on away from your reguler desktop...

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
fundamentally not possible...

allowing UAC to run under same desktop means if any spyware or Bot present on your system could access the UAC to autorise an action by them self...

for security purpose, UAC is meant to run on away from your reguler desktop...
Currently, on disabling the Secure Desktop, you get the UAC promps with Aero on and the other programs running side by side. What i am saying is, just add a tiny bit to it, just visual effect. So, when the UAC prompt is displayed, it is still approachable by the programs, but for the user, it is shown over a blurred or blacked out screen. So that the user atleast gives some attention to it.

anandk

Distinguished Member
Well, you can Disable the UAC prompts for certain applications also! This will NOT disable the User Acount Control feature for the whole Vista computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom