two pc refuse to see each other (cross cable connected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiFriend

In the zone
i have connected two pc by cross cable lan. in both computers, device manager shows lan card enable.

first pc , TCP/IP address : 192.168.1.40 , subnet 255.255.255.0

second pc, TCP/IP address : 192.168.1.41 , subnet 255.255.255.0

to check connection 1pc dos: c:\>ping 192.168.1.41
no reply from ip address.(same result,when checking from other pc with 192.168.1.40)
lan connection icon in system tray of both pc show disconnected.

OP
digiFriend

digiFriend

In the zone
both computer uses windowXp with SP2, their firewall turn off. They have same work groupname. when ping for other computer ip address, or its own ip address, result "destination host unreachable".

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
i also have problem in this.hoever i get a reply when pinging from host computer.both have winxp sp2
ip--192.168.0.1
ip(2)192.168.0.2
subnet 255.255.255.0
rest all fields are left empty

champ_rock

champ_rock
check the wires, somtimes the connectors need to be replaces if they are not fit properly,

destination host unreachable will occur when there is no connectivity between te 2, i.e. the wire has some fault...

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
mod-the-pc said:
If the LED on the NIC are glowing link is up else check cabling.
i have onboards lan card.where does the led glow in mobo

champ_rock said:
check the wires, somtimes the connectors need to be replaces if they are not fit properly,

destination host unreachable will occur when there is no connectivity between te 2, i.e. the wire has some fault...

i am using the same cable for connecting the router /modem with computer via erthnet with no problems

santu_29

Journeyman
try this

>check wether the workgroup names are same.
>check wether the cables are connected properly.
>insted of 192.168.*.* use 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2
>recheck any firewall settings.
if all fails ....

then maybe the crosscable is faulty. youll need to remake it. check the color coding and then make it. sometimes the wires in the cat5 cable do not fit till the edges in the clip(rj45). for details on crosscable check out this link- *www.aptcommunications.com/ncode.htm

reply what happened .....

Last edited:

mod-the-pc

Back to School Mr. Bean !
gary4gar said:
i have onboards lan card.where does the led glow in mobo

I've seen the LEDs near the RJ45 jack in my cousins A7V8X-MX. Refer to ur mobo manual for more info.

navneeth_snr

Journeyman
digiFriend said:
i have connected two pc by cross cable lan. in both computers, device manager shows lan card enable.

first pc , TCP/IP address : 192.168.1.40 , subnet 255.255.255.0

second pc, TCP/IP address : 192.168.1.41 , subnet 255.255.255.0

to check connection 1pc dos: c:\>ping 192.168.1.41
no reply from ip address.(same result,when checking from other pc with 192.168.1.40)

Hi, Even I had this problem. It was not connecting 2 computers with the cross cables.

Some days back, I disabled the Firewall of McAfee Internet Security and it worked.

So try disabling the firewall. It might connect!

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
santu_29 said:
then maybe the crosscable is faulty.

there is no point of faulty cable as i am using same cable to connect the internet via external modem(BSNL dataone) with no problems.also what is the diff in using 192 or 1.1.pls explain

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
also disabled the firewall on both of them.
pls note one computer is PC & other is laptop does it make any differnce

navneeth_snr

Journeyman
gary4gar said:
also disabled the firewall on both of them.
pls note one computer is PC & other is laptop does it make any differnce

No, It will not make any difference! Both are considered as PCs.

champ_rock

champ_rock
gary4gar said:
i am using the same cable for connecting the router /modem with computer via erthnet with no problems

i think if u r using it to connect it to ur router then it is not cross cables at all, because some routers have an inbuilt switching function which des not require u to cross cable the wire ,

OP
digiFriend

digiFriend

In the zone
thanks for all replys, i think problem might be in crosscable. i have check that both lan card are working by connecting it to broadband modem. i have bought the cross cable, which shows different colour wire respective at other end. but how to check that cross cable wire?

champ_rock

champ_rock
just see this page *www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html

u can see partially through the connector which sequence is used,

u please note the sequence and match it with that given in the site

i think that will solve ur problem,

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
you cannot use a cross cable to connect your router to your PC, the cable you have is a normal cable. In case of a cross cable, pins 1&3 and 2&6 have to be interchanged (crossed)... and in my experience, most ppl just reverse the order of wires which doesn't work either...

47shailesh

Security Exp
I Stictly say there is no problem with workgroup or IP addressing Problem is with ur "Cable or LAN card" try replacing either of them. U will definately get connectivity this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom