[Tutorial/Tips/Guide] Choosing Right Audio Gear

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I am seeing lot of confused people on why they are not getting a good sound quality from their headphones or earphones (IEM's (In-Ear Monitors)).

We need a guide to explain what goes into listening to that perfect sound, I am not an audio expert, im just writing based on my limited experience, but I think some of the in house audio experts can create a detailed tutorial/tips based on some of my points.

Scenario:
1. User buys a Shiny new mobile/PMP (Personal Media Player), but they are not satisfied by the sound quality of the earphones provided.
A: Most/if not all earphones bundled with mobiles and PMP's are bad. (exception may be EarPods but not sure), first thing to do is throw that away and buy a new pair of IEM.

1a. User buys a expensive IEM for his/her mobile, but still the sound sucks..
A: It so happens that many expensive earphones require more "power to drive" (play at larger volume), i.e., your device is simply not able to deliver the required power to the earphones. This issue can be resolved by buying a Headphone Amplifier (or Amp as its called these days). Amp is not required in every case, its based on the earphone models you have chosen. I have seen people reporting that their device cannot drive a cheap $10 earphones, but can drive a $40 ones. ill leave it to the experts to explain this.

So whats the solution?
When buying expensive IEM's , try to get a Audition from your local store to check if it will work on your phone. If you really want to buy it even if your phone is not able to drive the IEM's? then get a portable headphone amp.

2. User buys a expensive headphones, but when they plug it into their computer the quality isn't up to the mark.
A: your computers inbuilt soundcard is not the best. having a motherboard with 5.1 or 7.1 capable chip doesn't mean its good. it will not be able to produce perfect sound. You need to get a add on Sound Card for getting a much better audio experience. A good entry level sound card starts from Rs. 1K and above even up to 20K . You can go for add on card or a USB Sound card if you are using a laptop. If you will be using a high impedance headphones then you should go for a sound card with a on board headphone amp.

Before buying a audio gear, please do a through research.

@Members/Audio Experts: please pitch in your suggestions on improving this guide, if not create a new Guide based on this thread. Also suggest a proper title.

PS: I am in no way a audio expert, I just know little bit here and there.

Top Bottom